Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 4, 2007, 8:56 PM   #1

Was wondering if anyone has used either/both of these lenses and what you think.I would appreciate any info.

I would be using this for school concerts,indoor sports and for low light photography.

Thanks

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:53 PM   #2

Charlie;

I don't claim any expertise, but I've been satisfied with my 85 on the Canon XTI. I've had success indoors at basketball and volleyball games, particularly if you can get fairly close to the edge of the court. Gyms always seem tohave poor lighting for photography. I'd send you some sports samples, but I'm on my laptop out of town and don't have access right now. I did include a photo of one of my granddaughters in natural light with the 85, and if you check out"other" in the postings group and look under "dance with your shadow" you'll see another taken with the 85 at a dance recital, no flash,with a tripod. Good luck. (tweaked in PS)

Bob

Attached Images

rornberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 1:30 PM   #3

What body?

On a 1.6x body, the 100 is a very akward focal length for basketball. On a 1.6, the 50mm is the best 'under-the-basket' lens. The 85mm is the best option for shooting from the corners of the baseline or from the first few rows of the stands. As long as we're talking high school players. College players (6'4"), 85mm is a bit too tight - but most college gyms should be bright enough for 70-200.

For concerts, it's all a matter of distance as to which focal length: 50, 85, 100, 135 would be the best.

One thing to realize though - these lenses were not designed to focus from great distances. The 85mm is designed to focus to about 15-20 feet. The 100 will focus to about 25 feet. You can stretch that in good light. But in low light, especially with moving subjects you can't. What this means is when shooting with the 85 on a 1.6 crop body, a 6 foot subject will fill about 80-90% of the frame at the furthest distance.

Some basketball shots with the 85mm 1.8 and a 20d:

Other sports with the 85:

For low light - it depends on your subject matter. 85mm is very tight but also not very long. So you need to give more specifics about your low light subject matter to determine if either 85mm or 100mm or something else entirely is the right length. When it is the right length, it performs very well:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2007, 7:44 PM   #4

Guys it is for a 20D and I want to thank you for your help.I picked up a new 85 F1.8 from B&H and hope to have some pics up soon.

Thanks again

Charlie
Striderxl is offline   Reply With Quote