Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 16, 2007, 5:40 PM   #11

Nice technical error...
leeraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2007, 5:55 PM   #12

Old Jun 17, 2007, 8:49 AM   #13

Leeraff-

Let's consider how a slave flash works, shall we? A slave flash requiresanother flashto actually "trigger" the slave flash.The flashcan come from across the room, or even right from the camera's own built-in flash. Take a look at photos #1 and #2, please. A slave flash, like the Vivatar DF 200 (shown in photo#1 and photo#2) can both tilt and swivel, thus giving you a lot of flashflexibility. The slave flash is mounted using just a simple accessory bracket screwed intoyour camera's tripod socket. The camera in the photo just happens to be a Pentax DSLR. The make of the camera does not matter at all. This set-up will work with any camera.

And finally please take a look at at photo #3. #3 shows a Canon EX420 equipped to use the "better bounce card" procedure. Most of the flash is bounced off the ceiling, but a small amount of the light from the flash is bounced forward because it is reflected forward by the computer paper. Keep in mind that each paragraph in this post describes a different procedure. They are in no way related at all. They are just different flash techniques.

Finally the Sigma 30mm F 1.4 lens will allow you to be closer to your child when taking your photos, and because of the brightnes of the lens, depending on the amount of light in the nursery,the Sigma 30mm lens most probably can take photos without any flash at all.

Sarah Joyce

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 8:52 AM   #14

Leeraff-

Finally you might ask, how good does a photo taken with the "better bounce card" technique look? Here is a photo sample, taken with a Canon XTi using a Sigma 18-125mm lens. Notice the soft quality to the light. I would think that is the type of light that you might want to use to take photos of your baby. Please tell me what you think about these two posts, and if there is anything at all that you do not understand.

Sarah Joyce

x
Old Jun 17, 2007, 10:55 AM   #15

mtclimber,
I got that technique with the "better bounce card" from your first post and tried it as soon as my flash arrive. Believe me, I'm sold. Nice skin tones in your pic, no shadows, not the "harsh" or "flat" look from external flash. I've been getting pretty good results myself. I have some challenges in our family room which is fairly low light and "bounce" can sometimes be a challenge but, believe me, I'm sold and love the addition of an external flash.

Now, the area of confusion was still how a Canon camera can trigger a slave. I'm clear on the relationship of a master and slave. Even posted my own questions as to the usefulness of just doing a transmitter to keep weight down and intimidation factor down. While not the most economical solution and while one loses some functionality, I may still consider that one day even over 580ex or Sigma 500 Super.

But, if I understand, one of those 3 devices will be needed to trigger my 430ex. One has to serve as the master to get my 430ex "off the camera." If I am wrong there, PLEASE, let's continue the lesson and that check, part of what I'd save buying a "master" will come to you in the mail, ha ha.

So, thanks. All great posts. As always, noobs and semi-noobs appreciate all you senior folks' patience and excellent replies. I hope to one day be able to "Let me take this one for you guys" when the eager noob asks the same question that has been asked 1000 times. (Anyone want to laugh and comment that some of us post multiples of the same topic to account for that 1000? Apologies on my part when I do.)

Old Jun 17, 2007, 11:24 AM   #16

leeraff wrote:
Quote:
algold, btw, you show "low light" shots but most were outdoor light, not the single lamp nursery environment I think I've continually discussed with some here.
leeraff, the outdoor shots were taken at a light level that was not comfortable to read a newspaper. You get the same exposure indoors with one 50W spotlight about 1.5m from your subject (just did a quick test at ISO800, F/2 and 1/40sec.

This was taken with a kit 18-55mm zoom, at ISO800, F/5.0, 1/20 sec, handheld, sitting in a rocking chair :-). There was a single 50W lamp about 2m above him:

To control your EX430 flash off-camera remotely you will ideally need a Canon ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter (about £150). My friends get away with a cheap slave unit, or a sync lead. Sorry, I don't have a Canon's Speedlite, use an old Vivitar 283, works perfectly well on and off-camera either without any attachments, or with bounce cards, diffusers and umbrellas.
Hope this helps a little.
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2007, 7:08 PM   #17

Leeraff and Algold-

Folks, wait a minute, please! We are attempting to approach this in the most cost effective way. That is why we are talking about dumb, passive slave flashes!

A slave flash has a photo electric cell in it circuitry. When it see another flash go off, be it another flash across the room or even the camera's own built-in flash, the slave fires its flash. It does not require any complicated transmitter or anything like that. In fact it is sort of a siiliar thing to the "Better Bounce" technique. I usually point the slave flash head straight up toward the ceiling, to bounce off of, all the while, hoping and praying that I have a nice white ceiling to work with and that I won't get any off color tones from the bounce flash.

What triggers the slave flash? The camera's own built-in flash. The bulk of the light come from the bounce and a nice amout of fill is provided by the camera's built-in flash. It is as imple as that. No electronics, no trasmitters, just dumb slave flash, and it works beautifully.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jun 18, 2007, 9:18 AM   #18

The nifty fifty 50mm F 1.8 is the cheapest option. I dont do a lot of low light stuff which is why Ive only bothered to purchase this little lens, it may be plastic and cheap but its the best bang for bucks and does the job well.

No flash ISO 1600, lowlight

with flash (just the built in 30D camera one as I did not have the add on flash with me)ISO 400

first shot I ever took with this lens in near darkness ISO 800 F 2.8

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:23 AM   #19

mtclimber, I'll be very eager to see if my on camera flash fires the external flash!!!

aladyforty,
nice pics. thanks for the input.

yeah, i've got the 50mm and liked it so much, i stepped up to the 85mm as well. my real problem is, i LOVE the results primes give me. We just don't get the same results with the kit lens on and that is all my wife really has an interest in using when I'm away.

as far as flash, though, the boys have moved to a point where they can handle flash and actually even trip out at it. But, when they came out preemie, i didn't have the heart to fire it at them after the first time. The visible reaction would have broken the coldest, hardest heart, not to mention the proud and worried first time mom and dad.

perhaps I wasn't as clear here, while I'm looking for the right lighting, right lens combination etc, my wife also uses the camera and will not take the time to interchange lenses, has no desire to learn how to use the external flash. I may be just as well off getting her a GREAT point and shoot for the price of one nice lens and just letting the 30d be my baby that she rarely, if ever, touches.

so, pics are doing great. getting some real nice results with my primes and even the kit lens with the recent addition of my external flash. got the 28-135mm this weekend and like the range but feel I'll have some of those same "soft" concerns indoors in low light without flash. That said, I probably could spend time working settings more like ISO.) Can't wait to use the new lens at the ballpark tonight just to see if it's a "keeper" or not.

Thanks for all the help.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 12:29 PM   #20

leeraff-

Your camera's will only fire a slave or what is sometimes called a passive flash.

Sarah Joyce