Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 6, 2007, 3:16 PM   #11
Super Moderator

When the 17-85 IS was released there was almost no competition.

Your only other choices were the 17-40L and the Sigma 18-55 f2.8.

Now there are a wealth of possibilities.
Sigma 18-125 and 17-70.
Canon 17-55 f2.8
Tamron 17-50 f2.8

etc, etc.

So at the time it was a fairly easy choice for me. If I had to make the same choice now I really don't know what I would go for. As I said before the 17-85 seems to strike a nice balance of features, but there are a lot of good choices available.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 3:57 PM   #12

Thanks everyone for your incredibly helpful comments. Special thanks to Mark, Nidza, and Hercules for your suggested "Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC" (and Mark for your warm welcome).That lens sounds like it might be just the ticket! Of ALL the lenses out there (correct me if I'm wrong), it appears to be the ONLY one to offerBOTH f2.8 wide-angle and over 55mm zoom. Nice range of options in one lens!

I am hoping people have similarly excellent advice regarding the following questions:

[glow=red](1) Sigma 17-70:[/glow]

Is the lens to which you are referring the "Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro"? If so, does this just mean it has good macro capabilities or doesthe macro monikeractually affect the way non-macro shots look in some way?

[glow=red](2) Sigma 17-70 compared with...:[/glow]

How does the (a) Sigma 17-70's performance (picture quality, speed, etc.) compare to the following?

(b) Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM (Ido like that theSigma'sabout a third the price.)

(c) The Tamron SP AF17-50mm f2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] (This lens seems like a lower-price alternative to the Canon 17-55, while the Sigma 17-70 is a whole different bag because of the zoom and non-constant aperture.)

[glow=red](3) Vignetting:[/glow]

Is vignetting a problem with any of the above-mentioned lenses due to their large apertures?

Thanks again for yourkind attention and aptadvice,

[glow=navy]Y oh Y[/glow]

PS. Some of you were referring to the Sigma 18-125mm. I can't find it. Is this Sigma still available or have they replaced it with a 18-200mm f3.5-6.3?

yohy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 4:09 PM   #13

yohy wrote:
Quote:

Thanks everyone for your incredibly helpful comments. Special thanks to Mark, Nidza, and Hercules for your suggested "Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC" (and Mark for your warm welcome).That lens sounds like it might be just the ticket! Of ALL the lenses out there (correct me if I'm wrong), it appears to be the ONLY one to offerBOTH f2.8 wide-angle and over 55mm zoom. Nice range of options in one lens!

I am hoping people have similarly excellent advice regarding the following questions:

(1) Sigma 17-70:

Is the lens to which you are referring the "Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC Macro"? If so, does this just mean it has good macro capabilities or doesthe macro monikeractually affect the way non-macro shots look in some way?

(2) Sigma 17-70 compared with...:

How does the (a) Sigma 17-70's performance (picture quality, speed, etc.) compare to the following?

(b) Canon 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM (Ido like that theSigma'sabout a third the price.)

(c) The Tamron SP AF17-50mm f2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] (This lens seems like a lower-price alternative to the Canon 17-55, while the Sigma 17-70 is a whole different bag because of the zoom and non-constant aperture.)

(3) Vignetting:

Is vignetting a problem with any of the above-mentioned lenses due to their large apertures?

Thanks again for yourkind attention and aptadvice,

Y oh Y

PS. Some of you were referring to the Sigma 18-125mm. I can't find it. Is this Sigma still available or have they replaced it with a 18-200mm f3.5-6.3?

Personally, your gonna get people with different opinions 1 will say the 17-50 smokes the 17-70 and vise versa, i really enjoy the 17-70 with pretty good IQ, look here and at the bottom where it's compared with the canon 17-55 http://www.pbase.com/alexis/comparei think it fares good, i was also thinking of the 17-55 but costs to much money with that kind of price you can buy the 17-70 and the canon 70-300 IS NEW that they say is a hidden L lens.
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote