Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 5, 2007, 3:20 PM   #1

I am going to buy either a Rebel XTi or an EOS 30D. If you have opinions as to which of these is better as a first DSLR, please feel free to comment. As I understand it, the XTi is lighter, has slightly higher megapixel count, and is self-cleaning -- while the 30D is faster and more durable. I really have no clue how to decide between them.

BUT, that's not why I'm posting on this particular subforum.

I am debating whether to go with the kit (18-55mm, no IS) lens or choose another lens as my all-around starter lens. I will be photographing scenery while hiking, in India (sightseeing, e.g.,temples at sunrise), my friends at parties, peoplein the park from the roof of a park-side apartment, etc. I recognize thatit's good to get a number of lenses, but I'd like to start out with one all-around lens to get the hang of taking pictures with the camera. At the moment, I'm considering the following as alternatives:

(1) EF-S17-55mm f2.8 IS USM

(2) EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM

#(1) seems great, but it's $1000.

#(2) seems great, but I wonder whether the small aperture will bother me.

Price is an object only in a relative sense. In other words, if the $1000 used to buy #(1) could be used to get the kit lens PLUS some other excellent lens that together cover more ground than #(1) alone, price becomes an object.

If people think lenses other than Canon lenses, or lenses other thanEF-S lenses, are good for all-around, first-time use, please don't hesitate to recommend other alternatives. Also, if people think particular lenses will for some reason work better with the XTi rather than the 30D (or vice versa), please let me know.

Thanks! Looking forward to the discussion,

Y oh Y
yohy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 5, 2007, 4:21 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Both are good choices, the first is obviously better optically, but costs a lot more and has a smaller range.

I personally wouldn't get too hung up on EF-S or not. When I upgraded to a 5D I sold my 20D and 17-85 at the same time. It was the best choice for my photography on the 1.6 crop.

The 17-85 is a nice compromise; it has good range, pretty decent IQ, good IS, good USM. It's significantly better than the cheap kit lens, and will serve as a decent lens while you find your feet and can determine what focal lengths you want in your future purposes. You could do a lot worse in choosing a "starter" lens.

In fact for the price of the 17-55 f2.8 you can pretty much get the 17-85 and the 70-300 too.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 3:56 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Firstly welcome to Steve's!

As for the body check out this thread made recently as most things are covered between the two options http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=37

When it come for lenses I've used the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC when I was a Konica Minolta 5D user and then when I switched to Canon (30D) I got one straight away for my walk around lens. The thing you don't get with that lens is IS but never been in a situation where I've needed it as the high ISO quality on the Canon's is very good.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 7:00 AM   #4

I'm another 17-70 owner. Great lens.
nidza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 8:54 AM   #5
NHL

yohy wrote:
Quote:
If people think lenses other than Canon lenses, or lenses other thanEF-S lenses, are good for all-around, first-time use, please don't hesitate to recommend other alternatives...
You don't have to spend $1000 for a constant f/2.8...

Technically the new Tokina (of Hoya fame) 16-50mm f/2.8 is probably the best optically (it's based on the same Pentax design which just happened to merge with Hoya recently).
Then theres' always the old standby: The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 which can match the EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 in performance, minus IS that is, but again at a considerable $$$ saving!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:35 AM   #6

Just my two cents or fifty paise:-). Have you looked into 18-125 sigma zoom. When i travel in India i find myself switching between my kit 18-55 & 28-105 f3.5 the most. Never having had the pleasure of owning a 2.8 no comments on that. But i never felt the need for a 2.8 while travelling, though i use the 28-75 tamron f2.8 for work.
Srinivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:37 AM   #7

Just my two cents or fifty paise:-). Have you looked into 18-125 sigma zoom. When i travel in India i find myself switching between my kit 18-55 & 28-105 f3.5 the most. Never having had the pleasure of owning a 2.8 no comments on that. But i never felt the need for a 2.8 while travelling, though i use the 28-75 tamron f2.8 for work. Good luck who knows we may meet in india i should be there in aug 07.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 10:40 AM   #8

Just my two cents or fifty paise:-). Have you looked into 18-125 sigma zoom. When i travel in India i find myself switching between my kit 18-55 & 28-105 f3.5 the most. Never having had the pleasure of owning a 2.8 no comments on that. But i never felt the need for a 2.8 while travelling, though i use the 28-75 tamron f2.8 for work. Good luck who knows we may meet in india i should be there in aug 07.

PS. NHL & Periapatic know their stuff
Old Jun 6, 2007, 11:00 AM   #9

My apologies to the moderators did'nt mean to post the message thrice.
Old Jun 6, 2007, 1:05 PM   #10

Srinivas-

The Sigma 18-125mm lens never gets much mention. But, I use mine a lot and like the range that it covers, as well as the sharpness.

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote