Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 14, 2007, 5:19 AM   #1

Whilst owning a 20D, I bought only EF lenses with the intention of eventually getting a 5D. Now that I have one, some of my lenses that looked great on my 20D are not so good anymore.

Here are some problems:

- Tamron 17-35 2.8 vignetting even at F16. Edge detail lacks detail and contrast. In fact, it looks muddy.
- Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX bottom right corner looks like it has a finger print on it, but it definately does not.

I've yet to test my Sigma 150 2.8 Macro and my Canon 50 1.8 extensively enough to make any conclusions.

Does anyone with a 5D or 1D have any experience with wide angle lenses that you are very impressed with?

What is the Canon 24mm - 105mm L like on the 5D(any alternatives)?

Any suggestions for the dust issue(didn't realise it was so bad - after 3 shoots, it is more dirty then my 20D ever got)

Finally, I use the Cokin P system and Singh Ray filters. at 17mm it is unusable due to the vignetting. Any suggestions for a work around?

I know an easy answer is to just buy Canon L lenses, but when I did research on wide angle lenses the Tamron rated as the sharpest. The Sigma 70-200 was up there with the Canon 70-200L.
JohnReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2007, 6:17 AM   #2

John....
I jumped to the 5D from a 20D as well...I am fortunate to have all Canon L lenses and have no problem with any of them...On my 70-200mm with a 1.4x converter, I get a very slight vignette in all 4 corners but I like that effect with certain shots...As I said, using just the lenses I have no problems...All are crisp and the focus is right on...As for dust, I have been shooting with the 5D since November and have had to "puff" the sensor and focus screen once...I try not to change lenses outside or when the cold weather static has your pants clinging to your legs...:O
John at the Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 7:26 AM   #3

John,

My upgrade path was the same (still have 20D). It took me almost 2 years to get enough dust on the 20D sensor to decide to clean it. I had to clean the 5D after 6 months. Make sure you never change lens with the camera turned on! Besides the camera safety issues, the sensor will be charged and there's probably a greater chance of attracting dust.

I ended up getting prime lens (couldn't afford L) to help with the situation of upgrading to the 5D. One lens thatwas better than I thought was the 28 - 135 IS. I'm using that as my primary walk around. I have the 70 - 200 F4 L (only L) and it's great on both cameras.

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2007, 11:50 AM   #4
Super Moderator

When I added the 5D to the 30D I went for the 24-105mm L and it's been a very good lens. As for dust there is nothing on one or the other (unless I'm missing something) that will make the 5D worse, it could be there was some residue from construction or you changed a lens in a dusty place, apart from that there is nothing I can think of.

When helping at weddings I use the 17-40mm f4 which is OK but not amazing IMOand if I want to go really wide I use the Sigma 10-20 on the 30D.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 1:32 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Hey John,

Long time.

We're on the same upgrade path eh?

I've been using the 24-105 with pretty good results. Also the Sigma 12-24 is pretty amazing on FF.

Yes there is some vignetting on both of them, but easily correctible, nothing serious at all.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2007, 8:24 AM   #6

Thanks for the comments everyone.

JohnAtTheBeach - I'll keep your dust suggestions in mind, thanks.

Bill - I'll take a look at that lens, as well as the 24-105

Mark - Sounds like a very interesting lens - I love wide shots, I seriously can't imagine wider then 17mm on a 5D

Peri - Been a very long time, I have a new job as a teacher, so I don't get random time to play on the net anymore, like I did in the IT world. Thought I'd have more time to do photography, but I'm busier and more stressed then I've ever been - figure that one out

Old Jun 15, 2007, 8:31 AM   #7

Mark - Sounds like a very interesting lens - I love wide shots, I seriously can't imagine wider then 17mm on a 5D

Peri - Been a very long time, I have a new job as a teacher, so I don't get random time to play on the net anymore, like I did in the IT world. Thought I'd have more time to do photography, but I'm busier and more stressed then I've ever been - figure that one out
Old Jun 15, 2007, 8:33 AM   #8

Peri - Been a very long time, I have a new job as a teacher, so I don't get random time to play on the net anymore, like I did in the IT world. Thought I'd have more time to do photography, but I'm busier and more stressed then I've ever been - figure that one out.