Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 11, 2004, 9:04 AM   #11

I know some about HSM, but reading your post got me wondering.

Canon has 3 different versions of USM (or is it 4?) Nikon has several (3 or so) AF-S. Are there several HSM itterations? Are some HSM really a lot better than others?

And is a focus limiting switch really all that hard to add to a lens? I use the one on my 100-400 and is helps so much, it's a life saver.

I read a long thread on dpreview about the 300-800. People there basically asserted that the lens was so powerful (800 + a sensor crop, maybe) that to get good photos really requires IS. That the smallest bit of movement, by you, mirror slap, the wind, a person walking by, will product shake that will be visible in the picture. They basically are saying that this lens is a nice idea, but without IS/VR/OS it isn't worth getting.

I've seen some output hand held and on a beanbag that were great. But nothing from a tripod (which doesn't have the same stability characteristics as resting it on a shock wave absorbing object.) Any thoughts?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 9:55 AM   #12
NHL

Does IS/OS/VR works with a tripod?
... bottom line it's really $$$ or return on investment (ie what you're getting out of the lens for the cost you're putting in)... You can have all the features you want!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 10:33 AM   #13

Canon's latest IS does work on a tripod just fine. The new 28-300L IS has that version of IS, as does the 70-200L IS. I would imagine though that if you have such a big lens and you expect your setup to move a little bit (on a tripod) that even the older IS will still work.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2004, 5:28 PM   #14

The latest VR works on a tripod as well.
I have no idea if OS works on a tripod.

I agree that it's return on investment, but there is nothing else like that lens, so lack of competition means that I can't have all the features I want. I want OS that can be on a tripod in that 300-800. It looks like it can produce sharp pictures in some situations (so optically it is at least "good") but is it usable in the way that I would use it? I don't know.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 9:29 AM   #15

Hey Eric,

Just limit its use to about 600mm or so. Maybe you can even mechanically limit it to that (drill a small hole and stick a screw in it or so). Voila, problem solved :-)

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote