Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jun 21, 2007, 4:57 AM   #1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-TSE243...908649-4110303

I was looking at the shift lens on this link above, just how wide would this be when transfered to digital, as I favour taking Architectural landscapes with a 18mm using a Digital camera. I am using a Canon350D, and am concerned that my angle of view, will be significantly narrowed if I bought the Shift Lens above.

Considering the above opinion should I consider the 14mmlens in thelink below or would I get too much distortion.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-EF1428...368&sr=1-1
Mr Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2007, 9:07 AM   #2

Hi Mr Shift

I'm not a canon man but I'll try to answer your question. A 24mm lens on most digitals will give an angle of view equal 36mm on 35mm film. Wide enough for some architectural work. But wider would be better.

No one that I know of makes a shift lens any wider.

If you have photoshop, perspective distortion can be fixed in many cases as well as barrel distortion and pincushioning. But this can sometimes distort other parts of the image and you must compose with ample room for cropping.

Remember that perspective distortion or keystoneing is caused by aiming the camera with the censor at an angle rather than parallel to the building. So careful composition is the place to start. A high view point is the key, if possible.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 4:38 PM   #3

If I wanted to use a UV filterto be left on the 14mm all the time for protection, what filter thread size would I use?
Old Jun 21, 2007, 6:02 PM   #4

By the looks of it you would be out of luck as far as filters go with that lens. It does not have filter threads do to the curvature of the glass. You might look into a ultra wide zoom such as the sigma 10-20mm. Buying on line is great but I suggest you go to the camera store or look for some actual example photos and see just how much distortion a lens has before you buy.
tjsnaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 8:25 AM   #5
NHL

You should also check out the full-frame Sigma 12-24 EX. This rectilinear zoom control straight line very well throughout its range. On a digital SLRs like the 350D all the corner "softness" is cropped out by the sensor and this lens is quite affordable for its build quality as well as the HSM ultrasonic drive:
http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/Revi..._f4.5-5.6.html
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:20 AM   #6

Looks ok, but what filter size is it, it looks like gelatine from the hood, but all as I would need is a uv for protection, to keep on all the time. As a Multiple Slerosispaitent a lens such as this would be perfect as it is AF and I would not struggle with the manual controls using myfingers.The reviewsare fantastic and for that amount of money, my only concern is that it is not Canon, or am I being over cautious with the latter concern.
Old Jun 22, 2007, 1:37 PM   #7

Over time I have switched some of my lense away from Canon.
I have 2 Sigmas, a EX 150 F/2.8 macro HSM and a EX 120-300 F2.8 EX zoom both have been excellent optically and mechanically.
I also make use of a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 OK optically, slowish on the focusing.

Being genuine Canon does not mean too much to me, I have had both bodies and lenses fail and they did not seem to care what brand name was glued on them.
Only thing to keep in mind is you need 2 pro bodies and 3 L or specialty lenses in your lineup (and a business license) to be on CPS.

The Canon EFs 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 will fit on the 350d and it takes a 77mm filter I believe.
I think it has a similar price to the Sigma 12-24.

Peter.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2007, 5:46 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Don't worry about Sigma, I use the Sigma 10-20, 17-70, 70-200mm f2.8 and 120-300mm f2.8 all of which give really good results. I also have Canon 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8 and 24-105mm f4 IS USM L. Apart from that I've used a lot of other Canon glass and as a general rule it is better than 3rd party lenses but not a lot. I would say the Sigma 10-20 is better than the Canon 10-22 which is why I have it. I also wish that I had gone for the 12-24 rather than the 10-20 as I've now added a Canon 5D to my setup as well as the 30D. There is a price difference between the two with the 12-24 being about £120 more expensive so probably $210 ish so yes the Canon 10-22 and Sigma 12-24 are nearly the same.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 4:06 AM   #9

I might as well get a better quality body than I have now to go with the lenses. I am looking at Canon again not surprisingly, the 400D @ 10.1 pixels seems to be "THE" camera to have at the moment. Further up the line we have the 1D markII @ 17.2 pixels followed by the 1D MarkIII @ 10.1 pixels.

The 1D Mark III has just won a TIPAaward, but why is the much hyped 1D Mark III only 10.1 pixels and got this award, why upgrade a camera body and reduce it's pixel size? I thought pixels were the moast important consideration, what else does the Mark III have in it's spec, that would give it a TIPA Best Pro Digital SLR Award?

The maximum enlargement I will go for is A4.
Old Jun 23, 2007, 4:16 AM   #10
Super Moderator

If you want A4 size don't bother changing. Trust me the 350D is plenty good enough, I've used a Konica Minolta 5D with 'only' 6MP in the past (before switching to Canon) and had great A3+ size prints!!

The MKIII is not an upg from the 1Ds MKII but the 1D MKIIn which were for two different audiences. The IDs MKII is still the ultimate full frame camera for studio work with it's almost 17mp where the MKIIn is the sports and reportage camera with a 1.3x crop, 8.2mp and 8.5fps. The MKIII has replaced that by going to 10.1mp and 10fps as well asa lot of nice features for studio work so is going to be the choice for pro sports, reportage and wedding photogs helped by the new higher ISO ability and suuuuuupppppeeeeeerrrrr fast focus etc.

The only reason I would suggest you change is if you are looking for a larger faster body and then go for the 30D apart from that you are pretty much throwing money into a body that will give you very little in real terms. For what you want I would say the 30D gives you nothing, I use mine for sports shooting and as a backup to the 5D for general day to day use.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote