Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 7, 2003, 7:42 PM   #11

Default Dust bunnies

Russell,
On your question on dust getting in to the sensor when changing lenses, it really isn't that bad. Obviously when changing it is not good to do it in the rain or a dust storm, but normally I just try to leave the camera facing downward (out of the wind) and take off one lens, put caps on it, remove caps from the next, and put it on.
Yes dust can get on the filter in front of the CMOS, but unless it gets really bad, it won't show up in most photos. If it does start becoming a problem, it can usually be blown away with a bulb blower (don't use the brush). Only rarely does it become a neccessity to clean the filter yourself (or have Canon service it). There have been many discussions here at Steve's, and at DPReview Canon SLR forum on cleaning it yourself, which is for the brave, or the foolish like me!!!
Lenses can be blown with the bulb blower, or cleaned like the E-10 lenses you used.

JodyQ
JodyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2003, 7:49 PM   #12

UniSonBBS

If you look in my first post, you'll see I looked up what the 35mm equivalent of the E-10 zoom is. Here it is again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric s
The Olympus E-10 has a 35-140mm 35mm equivalent lens. That is not a very long zoom, but what it does have going for it is a very fast f2 fstop. So it should be fairly good in low light.
Probably just missed it among all the other info. So the 75-300 is a bit over twice as long a zoom, but it isn't nearly as wide on the short end. Do realize that this lens will require a lot more light to take pictures in than the E10.

Unfortunately, I know nothing about the 28-105. So I can't say anything specific. You should get something like that (or the 28-135, for another example, or there is a forum contributor named NHL who promotes a Sigma lenses in that range) because there will be times then you'll need it. And 75mm (x1.6...) isn't very wide.

I have the 28-135 you mention and like it a lot. I wish it had a slightly better fstop, but the IS is handy some times. For example, when I chase after butterflies and pretend to take pictures of them (i.e. I take pictures of the leaf it was just sitting on... after it left!) I would not hesitate to get it.

You should be careful when you change lenses. Both so you don't get stuff on the lenses and on the sensor. Turn off the camera before changing lenses (I don't always do this, Doh! Heat of the moment thing.) and point the camera down and shield it from the wind with your body. If you are on the beach, do it inside a bag (your camera bag works.) Just learn to be careful.

You can get it cleaned professionally, but it is designed to be cleaned by you. Read the directions in the manual. Also, search in the "Canon SLR Talk" forum at www.dpreview.com. There has been some good advice there on how to do.

If you want to do macro you can get a dedicated macro lens or you can buy extension tubes. They reduce the close focusing distance, allowing you to get closer to the subject. They work with many lenses (I won't say "all" 'cause I don't know if "all" is true.) Kenko makes some good ones, but so does Canon (for more money.)

UniSonBBS & JodyQ

The real way to think about "L" lenses is really how much you are willing to spend, how much you care about perfect pictures and need. Everything in life is a tradeoff of cost vs quality (well, most things.) Better things usually cost more, not as good ones are cheaper. Do I buy an expensive car when a cheaper one will do? No. Do I buy the extra fancy wrench set when the standard one will do. No.

Do I buy some L class when I could buy a Sigma that isn't? No, I buy the L (where it matters.) I do care about really sharp, no CA or distortion pictures? Yes. I am an engineer by training and kinda a profectionist. I knew it would bother me that I picture wasn't as sharp as I want it to be. I didn't buy the L for the shorter end zoom, because it didn't matter as much. But I did get the 100-400L (cost as much as the 10D!)

Anyone who is worth listening to will say that you should get the right tool for the job. For most people, L lenses are a waste of money. UniSonBBS will have to decide how much of a difference there is between L and non-L in the zoom ranges that matter and if it is worth the extra money. Some times you get something tangible, like a better fstop. But you also get better quality parts with better coatings and better weather sealing.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2003, 8:08 PM   #13

As of right now. I am not looking to spend alot of money for lenses. Right now I just need something to get by and get to use the 10D. What about this Sigma Lens?

28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Compact Aspherical Hyperzoom

That seems like two lenses in one? But is it any good, and will it work with the 10D. Only thing it seems to lack is the IS feature... :/
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2003, 9:31 PM   #14
NHL

28mm is not very wide with the 1.6x factor and with f/6.3 the AF might have some problem. How about this one (it wasn't available when I got my EF28-135 IS USM)?

http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...sku=SG24135EOS

With the faster f/2.8-4.5 you might not need IS in the EF 28-135 IS USM which I don't find too useful... (it'll might save you from getting another WA)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2003, 1:36 AM   #15

Hi,

I used the 75-300 III f4-5.6 lens from canon and DID NOT liked it, for the money it's a nice lens but you are way better of buying a Sigma for a little bit more, look for the 145-400 APO lens, it's more value for your money and it has MUCH better optics.
Till 300mm you should be allright shooting out of the hand (I do almost daily), 400mm really needs a tripod to do it right.

I also use a Sigma 28-105 f2.8-4 lens which is AMAZING for the price.

I would opt for:
Sigma 28-105 f2.8-4
Sigma 145-400 APO f4-5.6

You don't have to break the bank and you will get better performance than the canon glass for the same price.

L-glass of Canon is a different story.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2003, 9:04 AM   #16
NHL

Frank has a point!

There's the L series, and there's the regular EF line. In between there's plenty of excellent alternative from Tokina, Tamron (Di series), and Sigma (EX) that can exceed the basic lenses from Canon with faster speed and feature to match like utrasonic.

I have the Sigma EX 17-35mm f/2.8-3.5 and the EX70-200 f/2.8 that far exceed the quality of my plastic and loosely built EF 28-135 IS USM... Even their markings are engraved on the metal barrel instead of just stenciled on plastic! (the Canon lens hood and case are even extra!)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2003, 9:08 AM   #17

I had the intention of getting only Canon glass but came back from that after buying my 70-210f2.8 APO Sigma lens, so I gave the 28-135 Apo 4-5.6 a chance (very cheap lens $ 240,00) and loved that one also, Yesterday I ordered my third Sigma the 145-400 without audition I hope it's good .

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2003, 11:25 AM   #18

Default Everybody is correct.

Russell,
Yep, each and every opinion you see here is correct.... We all have various needs, and feelings on what make one lens the one we prefer. I feel I need the Canons for the IS because I can't hand-hold without it. I use Sony Camcorders for the same reason!

But, I do use the Sigma wide-angle zoom, and the Sigma super zoom because I am comfortable in thinking I'd be using the tripod with either. That plus they are darn good lenses!!!

The one thing to remember is, exactly what Eric S. wrote, there is normally a tradeoff in cost vs price. One notable exception being the Canon 50mm plastic F1.8 going for pocket change.

Unless you go with some super cheapo lens, you will get results equalling or bettering your E-10.

Consider just getting a single lens when you first DSLR and learn what it is capable of inside and out, and more importantly, what it can't do that you want. This will help you make a better decision as to what direction (longer zoom / better macro / fixed focal length - and usually faster / or whatever) your next purchase would be.
This is why I started with the 28-135 and the 50mm. I soon decided that the birds weren't close enough for me, and the golfers were too close sometimes. I admit the Sigma 50-500 was an impulse buy because of a good deal and seeing what Jaja at www.belgiumdigital.com was doing with it hand-held. He obviously is steadier hand-held, than I am with a tripod and a remote shutter release!!!!!

Best of luck,

Jody Querry
JodyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2003, 1:40 AM   #19

I have the 75-300 USM III lens. For its price, it is a great lens. On an absolute scale, I moderately like it. The only pictures taken with this lens on my website are at http://www.pbase.com/barthold/demo_derby

I'm like EricS, I like sharp pictures, and strive for perfection (very annoying habit sometimes :-)). I also have the 28-105 lens. Again, for its price a great lens. Sometimes I wish I had bought the 28-135 IS though. I wonder if it is sharper, and how much IS really helps. But then, the 28-105 is a 3.5-4.5 lens, which is pretty good (for its price).

If you want to stay with Canon lenses only, then you don't really have much choice in the zoom range you're looking at. The next one would be the 100-400L, which is pretty expensive.

I did see some comments about the used value of canon and non-canon lenses. If you're going to try a few lenses and want to sell some later, canon ones probably retain their value better.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2003, 10:57 AM   #20

Just a small update.

I am a proud owner of the Canon 10D ... yeay!
I purchased a 28-105mm canon lens and a 75-300mm canon lens (Non IS). Was a litte more then I intended to spend so I went with the non IS model... :/ Always have time to upgrade.

Cant wait until its charged!

Also, I purchased these from BestBuy and I got the 4 year warranty. They stated that they do not bother to try to fix the camera in any way. They just replace the hole camera with a new one. Anyone with exchange experience?

Russell
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote