Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 11, 2003, 4:56 PM   #1

Default Canon 10D Lenses (IS)

Hey Everyone,

As of right now Im still pretty pleased with my Canon 10D. I purchased as you know the 28-105mm and the 75-300mm. However, I am not overly excited having a 300mm zoom and cant hold the freaking thing still enough to hand hold it. So I purchased the IS USM model. Which this model isnt USM either (The one I have now). Will this make a big difference? I would think it would when you dont use a tripod much. I would perfer not to use a tripod in most situations.

New one puchased: Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM AF
Old one puchased: Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III

I was able to buy the IS USM for $419.95 new.

Russell
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2003, 12:24 AM   #2

At 300mm I find I need a shutterspeed of 1/500 or faster to get a sharp image. With the IS version of that lens you should be able to get a sharp picture with a slower shutter speed.

If you can't get the shutter speed for the available light, try upping your ISO setting and/or wider aperture.

Barthold
barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 7:06 AM   #3
NHL

One problem though when can you tell that the IS actually works?
I can sure tell when my EF28-135 IS USM doesn't work though when riding a speedboat cresting ocean waves: The AF points just randomly lit up in the viewfinder like a christmas tree! :lol:

USM is a different story you can hear it works (and quite speedy too)!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2003, 3:35 PM   #4

Interesting. I can hear the IS working on the 28-135. Its loud enough that I quickly notice when its turned off by mistake (althought the USM is also kinda loud in the lens.)

On the other hand, the 100-400L is very quiet. I completely missed that IS was off for about an hour of shooting. I could have kicked myself. It was just really quiet, and I was hand holding so the view through the camera wasn't that jumpy (I'm fairly steady and push the low shutter speeds... 1/250 or so at 400mm.)

I bet you'll see the difference of having USM. You might not notice the IS at much... because it will just work. Your pictures will be sharper if you push the boundries of slow shutter speeds. If you always shoot 1/700 or so, IS is wasted (unless you use its pan mode or on a boat.)

Eric

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 6:07 AM   #5
NHL

Quote:
USM is a different story you can hear it works (and quite speedy too)!
... I meant you can hear the SILENCE (over non-USM)!

As to IS on my EF 28-135 if one deliberately forced it @ the long end by shaking the camera then you can hear its noisy adjustment, but in practice you can't tell when it kicks in... (may be I'm too steady)
Personally I'll go for faster lens, ie wider aperture. It's guaranteed to work and you'll gain the shallower DOF to boot which is what I was after in a dSLR. :lol:

IMO it's just two lines of thinking: IS get you a compact lens and a slower shutter speed, vs a wider aperture/larger diameter lens that not only get you the faster shutter speed but buy you a shallower DOF as well... IS makes perfect sense @ the supertele where a larger aperture will make a lens huge and heavy, but @ shorter focal lenght the benefit/trade-off might not be there over a comparable just faster lens.
Old Aug 13, 2003, 10:16 AM   #6

NHL,

Interesting observation. What do you consider a competitor lens to the 28-135 (without IS obviously) which gets you the wider aperture and shallow DOF? I don't think Canon makes one.

Barthold
Old Aug 13, 2003, 11:13 AM   #7

Sigma makes one, as I'm sure NHL well tell you.
If you are flush with bucks and quality really matters, Canon makes an 28-70L lens (or something similar to that) but for the cost, most people don't need it. It's just too expensive for what you get (IMHO.)

Another thing you get (in theory) with the better fstop is that the same fstop on the faster lens will be of higher quality. Stopping down some always (hate those broad generalizations) helps.

f4 on a f2.8 will be better than f4 on an f3.5, on similar quality lenses.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2003, 12:58 PM   #8
NHL

Actually Tokina makes excellent WA to teles with constant f/2.8 for a long time, while Tamron usually makes more compact versions with the same aperture.

Sigma is only the most prominent on my mind since apparently they are the only 3rd-party to offer ultrasonic (USM) at this time, which I think is more valuable than IS in shorter focal ranges: I rarely use AI focus since its seldom picks the right focusing spot, and IMO nothing beats One-Shot AF with a quick twist manual overide if it's not spot on (BTW I only use the center AF).
I know... been designing redundant control systems for years and still can't trust theses ever faster thinking processors...! :lol: :lol: :lol:

BTW not having Ultrasonic/USM is not all that bad since several manufacturers now include clutches with certain lenses gear train so one can still manually overide them without flipping the AF/M switch, just check the fineprint...
Old Aug 13, 2003, 6:47 PM   #9

NHL, do you have any experience with the Sigma 24-135 f2.8-f4.5 lens?

Barthold
Old Aug 14, 2003, 4:10 AM   #10
NHL

No, but I wish I did... It just came out last month after I got my EF 28-135 IS USM!

I have excellent experiences with their EX 17-35mm f/2.8-f4, and EX 70-200 f/2.8 though. The Sigma 24-135 f2.8-f4.5 is not in their Professional EX series which might mean something... may be the zoom will creep to the max position like on the Canon's when hanging on its own weight and also plastic built, unlike the other EX's.

... Another plus that I can see is the wider 24mm which might get you by: Lot of time I wished I didn't have to swap lens for that extra edge. You know the drill (wasted time, chance for dust, and the extra bagage/weight...) already.