Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 6, 2007, 4:25 PM   #1
dlw

My next lens purchase will be the 70-200 IS L and a 1.4x converter. Any opinions on getting the Tamron SP PRO AF 1.4X or the Kenko Pro 300 1.4X?
dlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 7, 2007, 6:41 AM   #2
Super Moderator

As you are spending the money on getting L glass then there is little point in putting lesser TC on the camera. If you are going Canon L then get a Canon TC with it.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2007, 5:31 PM   #3
dlw

There are quite a few folks on this forum and others that would not agree that Canon is the only way to go with the extender. Myself, I won't get the Canon because it will not work with all Canon lens. Although I won't use it that often, I would like it to be as usable as possible with my setup. For the small difference in IQ between Canon and Kenko/Tamron that has been shown in many reviews, and considering little use, I really won't spend over $100 extra for the Canon that won't work on all Canon lens.
Old Aug 8, 2007, 3:05 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Not saying it is the only way to go as I use Simga 1.4 and 2x TC's and found them to work better with my Sigma glass than the Kenko did. However if you are not looking for the best quality then I will leave it for people who have played with them both to give advice.
Old Aug 9, 2007, 11:35 AM   #5

IMHO, when it comes to the 70-200 L IS glass, you are being penny wise and pound foolish if you do not get the Canon TC! The 70-200 2.8 L IS isa fabulous lens, and the Canon TC seems perfectly matched to it. There is virtually no difference in performance and IQ with or without.

And while my Sigma TC works well with my Bigma, it just does not seem to be quite as sharp on my Canon lenses. Anyway, that's my 2ยข worth.
hgernhardtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2007, 10:31 PM   #6
dlw

Thank you for your input, however, perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my original post. I was really looking for someone that has hands on knowledge of the KenKo and Tamron TC's. I have seen about a 50/50 split on other forums (including Canon's) between those using Canon / Tamronand Kenko TC's. Everyone has an opinion I guess. Not one seems to come close to agreeing which is best.
Old Aug 12, 2007, 3:36 AM   #7
Super Moderator

I think we can pretty much agree with high quality Canon glass then the Canon TCs are best but probably most of us have not used all 3 flavors (or in the question you are really asking the Tamron and Kenko), and it is different with which lens you are using on the front so again if people have not used the TC with a 70-200 L might not have responded.