Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 15, 2003, 5:54 PM   #1

Default 75-300 IS USM going out for a test drive tonight

Well,

Finally got my 300 IS. Im gonna go do some photo's with it and Ill let you know what I think of it. I know most have tried it out before. But Im just gonna give a small like's/don't like's for the people that are considering it and are not a complete wiz on what to purchase yet.

Ill let ya know...
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2003, 10:57 PM   #2

I've never tried that lens. What is the fstop? I've heard amazing things about the 300L f2 IS USM, and fairly good things about the f4.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2003, 9:00 AM   #3

So far the little bit that I have had to play with it. It seems ok. But I plan to give a short review here once I think Ive played with it enough. Today will be the day however. Im gonna go to the park... :P
Old Aug 16, 2003, 6:00 PM   #4

Well I did a small test drive today with my new 75-300 IS USM lens from Canon. I started the day by taking a walk through a nature trail. Took some picture and seemed the lens was doing well. The IS feature helps ALOT with them hand holds. I did every picture today hand held. And only a few with ISO200. Most was with ISO100 (Yeay!).

Around in hour into it, we (My fiancee and I) came up to this marshy area. I noticed about 300 feet away a bird on a tall rotten limb in the marsh. It was far too big to be a crane :shock: . By the time I got down to the edge out of the wooded area, and to bring the camera to my face. He begins to take off... and then to be delayed because my camera went onto sleep mode :roll: .
Anyways, it was a big hawk or something. He was very huge.

I did multiple full zoomed shots. However, some didnt come out as crisp as other, and I blame that on the hazy hot day we had and being around the water made it worse. But here are some samples I took. Most where around 10 feet away full zoom. Obviously the full size pictures are just amazing.

I cant still give an honest small review from it. But as of right now, Im pleased with it. Once I fully understand the features and limits of the camera and lenses. Im sure I can make the quality of the pictures fantastic.
Old Aug 16, 2003, 6:47 PM   #5

Try taking a picture with some backlit areas (leaves/trees works well.) Non coated (no APO/HD/whatever) class will fail this test and you'll fringing around the edges (usually purple.)

If it has the good coatings, it won't happen. Simple as that.

Also, take some pictures with varying fstop. Lenses usually get better as you stop them down (3-4 stops) and then get worse again because of some distortion (I forget which.) Also, edges are usually worse than the center, so take some pictures with both center and edge detail.

I finally changed the sleep time to 15 minutes on my camera. And I'm also going to buy another battery. This is one thing where Nikon did it right (and Canon didn't.) The startup time is really short on the D100 and battery is.... amazing.

This is another habit I've gotten into. When you think you're going to be taking a picture soon (like approaching that halk) 1/2 press the shutter button. That will wake the camera up.

IS is amazing, isn't it? Just amazing.

That first picture is nice, but needs more DOF. That color is really good. Is the second one reduced? or a 100% crop? The detail isn't bad in the flower heads, but it could be better. If you reduced it, that could explain it.

Eric
Old Aug 16, 2003, 7:05 PM   #6

Yeah the lens isnt too shabby. Its probably just the user not knowing his camera very well yet... ops: Anyways, yeah all 3 pictures are just a reduced image size and some auto-contrasting from adobe. I really wanted to attempt to take some good pictures, but man, mother nature was just horrid. Hot, hazy and humid. Nothing like being soaked from just taking pictures... When everything is all said and done, and I think I know what I am doing... Ill post an approprate review of the lens in a new thread...

Just a quick edit. I was just curious if this makes a drastic drain on my battery with the IS going? Obviously it feels like a gyroscope or something in there. I cant tell if its trying to help the lens or giving me something to fight agenst... :lol:
Old Aug 17, 2003, 2:17 AM   #7

Hi,

The pictures look like the 75-300 III I had, I sold the lens because I found it to be too soft. The IS is a marvelous invention, my next lens will probarbly use it also .

Have fun with it.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 7:16 AM   #8
NHL

Could be weather related, but they do show lack of contrast as well (just like the other thread...)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 1:20 PM   #9

It sounds like these are not 100% crops, but reductions. That is not the ideal way to rate the pictures. I don't think that would effect contrast, but it might effect sharpness.

IS does drain more power, but its up to debate how much. Since I've always used it from day one, I don't see it as an effect.. but instead as a natural way of things.

Eric