Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 31, 2007, 1:20 PM   #1

So I'm probably going to be picking up a 30D in the near future and have been researching lenses to the point of confusing myself.

I typically like wide/wider angle looks, a lot of bokeh, and probably a significant amount of low light shooting. I have three lenses that I think I'd enjoy, but to a degree they seem a bit redundant in terms of focal length, so my question is does this lens selection make sense.

Tokina 12-24mm f/4 (love the ultra wide look. i live in CA so lots of good landscape opportunities)
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 (seems like a good versatile walkaround)
Sigma 30mm f/1.4 (good for low light situations and getting that nice dramatic bokeh)

Are these lenses at all redundant, should I look at things with a bit more range. I'm not a millionaire, so budget is a bit of a concern. I would probably spread these purchases out over time.

Thoughts?
SoundDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2007, 1:35 PM   #2
Administrator

I'm not so sure you're going to get "dramatic bokeh" with a 30mm f/1.4, unless you're taking photos of very close subjects. That's a pretty wide lens for getting better bokeh (and bokeh is one of the few things I've seen criticized about this lens).

It's probably a very good choice for low light shooting in close quarters though. I've considered one from time to time myself, as I'm shooting with a KM DSLR and my Minolta 28mm f/2 isn't quite bright enough in some lighting. You may also want to consider a slightly longer lens for portraits if that's what you're after.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 4:33 PM   #3

Thanks Jim,

So now I'm looking at the Tokina 12-24mm, A Sigma 17-70mm (to give me a little more zoom and more distinctive range from the ultra wide as a walkaround), and then probably a fast prime. A longer zoom is not something I think I particularly use very much, but might find I'd like one down the road. I guess now its between the 30mm f/1.4 Sigma or the 50mm f/1.4 Canon. My main concern is if I am shooting low light, it would likely be in tighter quarters indoors at a party, etc. where the 50mm doesnt allow me to fit enough in the frame.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 5:03 PM   #4
Administrator

That 30mm f/1.4 would be great for that kind of thing (low light shooting in closer quarters) by most accounts. As I said, I wouldn't mind having one myself, since my 28mm f/2 is not as bright as needed in some conditions I want to shoot in without a flash, even at higher ISO speeds. It's on my wish list. lol

If you scroll down on this page, you'll find albums comparing this Sigma to multiple lenses from Canon:

http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/lenstests

Of course, in some lighting, you're going to want a flash to help minimize motion blur, keep noise down, increase depth of field by using smaller apertures, get more even lighting by bouncing a flash compared to what the room lighting may provide, and more. So, you may want to consider including one in your budget along with the lenses you want.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 4:33 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Also have a look at the Canon 28 f1.8, makes for a very nice fast "normal" lens on the 1.6 crop.

I used mine a lot with my 20D.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 6:32 AM   #6
NHL

SoundDust wrote:
Quote:
I typically like wide/wider angle looks, a lot of bokeh, and probably a significant amount of low light shooting. I have three lenses that I think I'd enjoy, but to a degree they seem a bit redundant in terms of focal length, so my question is does this lens selection make sense...

Thoughts?
The key question here is do you see a full-frame camera in your future?
As good as the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX is it wouldn't work on a full-frame...

One APS-C lens is fine (which you can bundle with the body on resale), but it looks like you're building an entire collection of 'digital' lenses only - You might want to check with peripatetic but as the full-frame bodies become more affordable, they may fit your photography style better (i.e. wide angle, low-light and lots of bokeh).
Ditto with the 12-24, Sigma has an excellent full-frame version here as well :idea:

-> I would go with a 17-50 first which will buy you more time to decide if a full frame is your forte... A lot of bokeh, wide-angle, low-light and especially high dynamic range in theses conditions are all characteristics benefiting from a full-frame.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 5:36 PM   #7

Thanks all. FF is very appealing to me on paper, but I honestly can't see myself spending over 2-2500K on a camera body alone in the near future unless I win the lottery, although its a good thing to keep in mind. It seems the used market is pretty strong for lenses, so I'd manage an upgrade in body and sell off whatever lenses I needed to if it ever came to that.

I think the 17-50mm or 17-70mm will definitely be my first lens pick up, then just go from there. I am now leaning back towards the Tamron for the constant aperture.

Right now I'm using a Fuji s6000fd so I like lenses that offer things that I can't get out of the Fuji, which is a pretty solid 28-300mm (35mm equiv) f/2.8-4.9.