Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 9, 2007, 1:37 PM   #1

I feel I have it narrowed down to these 2 unless someone can convince me otherwise..

Canon 17-40L

Tarmon 17-50

If you were buying which one would you buy.
Thanks for any replies.
Mel.
smallm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 9, 2007, 2:43 PM   #2

I'm a bit confused too over a similar issue - looking to replace the kit lens on my 400D in the next couple of months (got to save the pennies!) and have narrowed it down to two lenses.

So I'd be really interested to read the feedback you get.

I thought I'd go for the Tamron f2.8 17-50 as a lot of people on here have been saying it's a cracking lens for the price. But the review in this month's Digital Camera is really disappointing :shock:.

The lens that gets top marks is the Sigma f2.8 18-50 for sharpness, CA and distortion.

But I'd be interested to hear any real-time users opinions of those lenses - and the Canon - though that is out of my budget at about £200 more!

Beejygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 11:11 AM   #3

I have both lenses. The 17-40L f4.0 is a great lens and I used it exclusively until I bought the Tamron. Most of my shooting is indoors with these lenses and I have trouble noticing any difference in image quality. Granted the Canon is nicer (fit, finish and feels solid), focuses quietly (USM) and faster than the Tamron. However, since the Tamron is a F/2.8 I use it more often. I mainly use it for people pics and any minor softness is not an issue. I haven't really been able to tell the difference. A plus is that the 2.8 helps me a great deal when I can't use flash. However, if you use it for architecture/landscapes the Canon may be preferable. A selling point for the Tamron is that it can be $150 - $200 cheaper. The Canon is a joy to use but the Tamron works fine too. The Sigma 17-70has been given better reviews and the only Sigma I have is the 18-200. After using the Sigma, 18-200, I find it lacking, focusing has been an issue for me and the F stops limit it to an outdoor lens. Buy the Tamron, you'll find it very useful. Yet the Canon is quick and you'll definitely notice the build quality. Let me know what you decide!
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:20 PM   #4
NHL

smallm wrote:
Quote:
I feel I have it narrowed down to these 2 unless someone can convince me otherwise..

Canon 17-40L

Tarmon 17-50
It really depends on what kind of body you have... i.e. cropped (XT/20D/30D) vs full-frame (5D)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 7:02 PM   #5

Thanks for all who replied.. After alot of scanning the net for an answer, I decided to try the Tarmon over the Canon . The main reason is the 2.8 over the 4.Also there are many who feel the tarmon is as good clarity wise as the Canon. I will have the system in a week or so as I ordered it form B&H and having it shipped to Buddy in US who will then send the package to me .. I will submit my results to the forum.
I again thank all who responed to my requset for help...
Great site..
Mel.
smallm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:45 PM   #6

Well you may also want to consider the 17-85 IS. The image stabilizer has allowed me to shoot in low light and using slow shutter speeds, I get shots I couldn't earlier. Plus, the range is very nice.
sepultura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:42 AM   #7

Quote:
If you were buying which one would you buy.
Canon 17-40L or a 16-35L
TimothyHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 8:28 AM   #8

NHL wrote:
Quote:
smallm wrote:
Quote:

Canon 17-40L

Tarmon 17-50
It really depends on what kind of body you have... i.e. cropped (XT/20D/30D) vs full-frame (5D)*
And if the answer is a "cropped" camera body - how does that change the answer to the poster's question? I've been trying to decide a similar issue and curious how the body will affect the results here.

Thanks!
scrapally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 12:55 PM   #9
NHL

scrapally wrote:
Quote:
And if the answer is a "cropped" camera body - how does that change the answer to the poster's question? I've been trying to decide a similar issue and curious how the body will affect the results here.
Well for one, a 'digital' lens only for cropped body are designed so that the light hitting the image sensor are more perpendicular than that of a full-frame which hit the sensor @ an oblique angle:
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...40_4/index.htm
http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/len...0_28/index.htm
-> which translate to higher contrast number hence higher MTF's (which is also a measure of sharpness), especially the border numbers.

Secondly the 'digital' only lens is now smaller (hence lighter), but it is also a stop faster (i.e. f/2.8 vs f/4)!

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 7:38 PM   #10

So, if I read the information correctly, neither of the lenses indicated are appropriate for use with a camera that is not full frame?

If that's correct, then what would be a good lens for a non full frame DSLR that offers a wide angle option?

I am looking for a replacement for my kit lens which is not performing effectively for me (kit lens 35-80 which came with my Canon Rebel - film; but I am using on my DSLR Canon XT) and does not go out wide enough for my needs.

Any suggestions?
scrapally is offline   Reply With Quote