Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 9, 2007, 9:51 PM   #1

Does anyone have information regarding the rumoredCanonupgrade to the 100-400 L IS lense, timing, etc.?
john myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2007, 7:18 AM   #2

john myers wrote:
Quote:
Does anyone have information regarding the rumoredCanonupgrade to the 100-400 L IS lense, timing, etc.?
you mean the same rumor that's been going around for the last 3 years? Nope - canon has not released anything. Any 'talk' is just rumor. This same rumor starts up every six months and has been going on for the last 3 years.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:34 PM   #3
djb

Personally, I'm very happy with my 100-400mm. what does everyone want to be updated on it?? the only thing most people I hear want,is the newer IS. The optics are very good and the push/pull zoom myth about it sucks in dust is just that, a myth!!! Any zoom that needs glass movement to zoom (how eles would they do it?) will move air and either oops in, or push out air. Unless the lens is sealed with a vacuum in it. As I see it, if Canon did update this lens, I'm not going out to buy it as, like I said, I'm happy with mine. So, my question again is, what sort of updates are poeple looking for?? Now if canon made my 500mm or the 600mm in a much lighter version like the 400mm f/4 DO and kept the image quality the same or better then, I think I might jump at that!!! Yeah, a 2 pound 500mm f/4 IS!!!! now that would be something!!!!

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:12 PM   #4
NHL

djb wrote:
Quote:
... The optics are very good and the push/pull zoom myth about it sucks in dust is just that, a myth!!! Any zoom that needs glass movement to zoom (how eles would they do it?) will move air and either oops in, or push out air. Unless the lens is sealed with a vacuum in it...
Try this:

Wrap your finger around the base of your 100-400L and push/pull it quickly and you shoul feel the air betwen the camera base and the lens coupling...
-> If you do remove the lens and put your palm at the base of the 100-400L you should definetely feel the air column as you push/pull on the the front part of the lens

On a 70-200 for example you won't feel any of this air as the lenght of the lens stays constant (i.e. internal zooming) - The 100-400L on the contrary double and contract its lenght as you zoom sucking air in and blowing air out with it like a trombone...

I do like the old style push/pull action though - more intuitive than a rotary action :-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:38 PM   #5
djb

NHL, well, I haven't had any problems with dust inside my 100-400. If air only comes out the back of the lens, who cares?? it would only be taking and releasing air into the camera as it is connected to it. With the amount of use I got out of mine, it should have dust bunnies in it!!! :lol:Anyway, I don't have that problem that a lot of people seem to be so affraid of. You're definitely right about the "intuitivness" of the push/pull.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 7:14 PM   #6
NHL

I agree :-)

The contamination comes from the air... going in and coming out from the base (where the sensor chamber is)
If you're in a Class 1 clean room then one can draw air in and out all day with no effect; However if one does the same thing in a dust bowl in then the results might be a lot different...
It depends a lot on where one uses the zoom in :idea:
(a dry dirt bike race track for example...)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2007, 10:43 PM   #7

Hmm I don't know about you folks, but one of the reasons I sold my 100-400L for a 70-200 was that it behaved like a dust pump. With the lens resting on my left hand I could literally feel it suck in and pump out air as I zoomed. After some months of use outdoors, there was definitely more dust and junk inside than the other non-push-pull zooms I've used.

If they can make a 100-400L with rotating zoom like the 70-200L, I'd go for it.
sepultura is offline   Reply With Quote