Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 6, 2007, 6:16 PM   #1

I was looking at this month's Popular Photography and they gave the lens a good review. I am currently waiting for B&H photo to open to change my order. I just ordered the 40D and it comes in a kit with a 28-135mm lens. I was wondering if the Canon glass for that specific lens was much better, or any better than this new Sigma lens. I do like the idea of the extra mms. But if the Canon lens is much better, then I will stick with that. I also like Canon's 28-300mm lens, the $2k one. I am assuming that the glass/quality of that lens is superior. But for an all around lens, this Sigma lens looks like the Holy Grail. I would just like some of your opinions on it. I usually never buy 3rd party glass. But hey, I am open esp. being the fact that Sigma designed this lens specifically for the APS sensors. Thanks all, in advance, I really appreciate it, and I would also appreciate a quick response, being that I gottachange this order first thing in the morning when they open tomorrow!
Hank355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2007, 6:27 PM   #2

Are you talking about the Sima 18-200 OS? Sorry can't help you. However, I have the Sigma 18-200 not OS and it has been a good lens. It does require a sunny day when you are limited to shooting no faster than 6.3. Other than that I have had fun with the lens and it can limit the number of lenses you carry. I am sure that the OS version would greatly improve on its shooting capability in low light.
Ctrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2007, 10:31 PM   #3

I am talking about the newer OS version. Popular Photography gave your lens a so so review, in the way of optics and distortion. They say the new lens is much better, but what I would really like to know (preferrably from someone who has shot and printed with the lens) is if it is better or equivalent to Canon's Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS. I do appreciate you posting, thank you.
Hank355 is offline   Reply With Quote