Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 6, 2007, 11:38 PM   #1

I just purchased a Rebel XTi with the standard kit lens (18-55). I also have an old film Rebel XS from years ago. I had a Sigma 70-210 lens for that camera which I liked. It won't work on my new Rebel so I'm in the market for a zoom lens. My kids are into cycling and that's where I take a lot my pictures. I am also on a very limited budget. I told myself $1000 was all I could spend for camera and starter lenses. So I picked up the XTi with tax and a memory card for right at $700. I only have $300 left.

I have been reading forums all over the place and from what I have read it looks like the 70-200mm either f2.8 or f4 would be great lenses for me. Unfortunately they would break the bank. So then I wondered about the 70-300mm options and that's when I get really confused.

I don't think I can afford the Canon 70-200mm F4-5.6 IS USM. So that leaves the Canon 70-200mm F4-5.6 USM, the same lens without the USM and the Sigma 70-200mm APO DG.

I've seen several comments that the Sigma is the better lens. What are your opinions and what makes one of these lenses better than the other? How much difference does the USM make?

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

*** My error was pointed out (thank you, I would have never gotten the answers I want), it was late when I posted and I didn't proof it well enough. I am actually debating between the Canon 70-300mm F4-5.6 USM and the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG. Both of which I think I can find for less than $300. ***

YvonneL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2007, 1:26 AM   #2

YvonneL wrote:
Quote:
I don't think I can afford the Canon 70-200mm F4-5.6 IS USM. So that leaves the Canon 70-200mm F4-5.6 USM, the same lens without the USM and the Sigma 70-200mm APO DG.

I've seen several comments that the Sigma is the better lens. What are your opinions and what makes one of these lenses better than the other? How much difference does the USM make?

Thanks for any insight you can give me.
You might want to proof read your post a little bit. :-) I understand what your asking, but the lenses you talk about all cost over $300. Although I do not have experience with it, I would suggest you get the Sigma 55-200mm F4-5.6 DC, and spend what you have left on another compact flash card. The few pictures i've seen taken with that lens were not bad at all, and would go great with your kit lens.

Thats my opinion anyways, of course take it with a grain of salt.
Bladestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:59 AM   #3
NHL

YvonneL wrote:
Quote:
*** My error was pointed out (thank you, I would have never gotten the answers I want), it was late when I posted and I didn't proof it well enough. I am actually debating between the Canon 70-300mm F4-5.6 USM and the Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG. Both of which I think I can find for less than $300. ***
In this case the Sigma 70-300 F4-5.6 APO DG is clearly the way to go...

-> If you can squeeze in another $200 for the newer EF 70-300 IS USM then that's a different story, but the older lens is definetely not very good at the longer ranges
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2007, 8:39 PM   #4

Between the Canon and Sigma, I'd get the Sigma. Best of luck to you.
Bladestorm is offline   Reply With Quote