Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:47 PM   #1

Thank you all in advance for the advice. Here's the bottom line: I have a 20D that the wife bought me for our honeymoon trip to Ireland a year and a half ago. I'm still learning that tool every day it seems. We're going back this Thanksgiving, and going to be out on the west coast and islands. I have the kit EFS 18-55 and the EF 50 1.8, which I think is a fun lens for this learner. My favorite shots are landscape, panoramic and macro shots.

For the trip I'm planning on buying a:
-Manfrotto 055xprob pro tripod <--mainly b/c it is in stock at the local shop
-Manfrotto 488rco midi ball head <--ditto above

I have no problem ordering from the net, but I need this stuff soon to get ready to leave.
I need advice on a lens, maybe two that I can buy that would lend themselves to this kind of photo style for me. I would really like to have macro ability, but the panos and landscape are more important. Any adice is welcome, from the tripod to the head to the lenses - My budget is flexible, but about $1000 for everything together. Oh yeah, a cleaning kit is needed as well, and lens hoods...how do I figure out which ones to use with the lenses I have or will buy?

To go with these I have:
-A pano head bracket I'm homebuilding
-a couple pinhole cameras for fun

Thanks everyone and I'm looking forward to seeing what comes up. I just know that I don't know enough to know..you know? lol

Ryan

gugnheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2007, 2:31 AM   #2

Ryan,

First the pano, landscape shots: You have the 18-55. What is it that you want out of a new lens that the kit lens is not giving you (assuming you're already doing pano and macro shots with the kit lens)?

For macro - what particular subjects do you like to take macro photos of? That will help determine the appropriate focal length to use.

By the way - that's an excellent choice for legs/head on the tripod. I use that combo and like it very much. It's aluminum so it isn't particularly light - but to get carbon or mag fiber and the same quality / load bearing costs quite a bit more. It's also nice for macro since you can use the arm in a horizontal position.

On the cleaning kit - buy a giottos rocket blower and a kit with lens solution - they're fairly inexpensive. Note the dinky little blowers that come in the cheap lens cleaning kits are a joke - they're pretty well useless. The key is - don't overclean your lenses. If your photos aren't being affected leave it alone. I take tens of thousands of photos a year and clean my lenses maybe once or twice a year.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 2:53 AM   #3

John-
Thanks for the reply. About the 18-55, it's the kit lens, and I don't know the Canon lineup well enough to know if there might be another lens that justifies the purchase. I guess in effect I am curious to know if there might be something for a couple hundred bucks or so that is an absolute must have performance wise over the kit model. I have the -NON- usm model, if I wasn't clear.

Re: macro, I mostly do flowers and in the summer, honeybees and such.

Thanks for the info on the tripod and head. I know its a bit heavy, but I'm pretty much a pack horse anyway. It's not a fraction of the bags I'll carry for my wife...lol

Ryan
Old Oct 22, 2007, 6:55 PM   #4

Ok after looking around, thoughts on the:
EF 70-200/4 L with the rebate
and for the macro option:
EF-S 60/2.8 macro or
EF 100/2.8 macro

This is with a 20D.

Thanks

Old Oct 22, 2007, 7:23 PM   #5

70-200 f/4 L is a great lens, I love mine :-). Many people part with this lens only to upgrade to an IS version, or an F/2.8 L IS.
100mm f/2.8 macro is on my wish list
algold is offline   Reply With Quote