Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 8, 2007, 12:31 AM   #11

hayden,

I appreciate your reply. We have a competition next 11/18. I am thinking about renting a lens. Am looking at the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 is l , or the Sigma 18-200 mm f3.5-6.3 optically stabilized. I know there is a big difference in rental price and the Canon is more than likely better, do you think it is worth the extra money? Competition will be indoors, lots of high speed action. Having never used an IS lens, really don't know what to expect.Isthe Canon f2.8 @ 200 mm zoom going to be like night and day noticeable then the Sigma f6.3 @ 200mm?

Thanks,

jpzcd
jpzcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 7:16 AM   #12

jpzcd wrote:
Quote:
hayden,

I appreciate your reply. We have a competition next 11/18. I am thinking about renting a lens. Am looking at the Canon 70-200mm f2.8 is l , or the Sigma 18-200 mm f3.5-6.3 optically stabilized. I know there is a big difference in rental price and the Canon is more than likely better, do you think it is worth the extra money?
Not even close - the two lenses are in completely different categories. Optical quality is going to be much better in the Canon and you have a 2-stop advantage (2.8 vs. 5.6) Of course it is a heavier lens - but the bottom line is the SIgma just isn't going to be up to low light action shots - no 5.6 lens is. The 2.8 will have a tough enough time (usually I have to shoot at iso 3200 to use 2.8 for indoor action).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 10:49 AM   #13

as John said, even the 70-200 F2.8 IS will give u shutter speeds ar around 1/100(max) at iso 3600 at f2.8 which is not quite enuff to stop action.

For action in night the best possible way is using a flash if allowed.

Other alternative is to rent 85mm f1.2 and hoping to get close enuff to action. Even then the shutter speed isnt going to be as high as u may expect to stop the action.

135L is another option. Most of these lens's will work well in a decently lit indoor stadium. So if the indoor stadium is decently lit 135L or the 85L can help a bit provided u can get close to the action

Otherwise flash is the only option
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 7:07 PM   #14

I just picked up a MF 180/2.8 Nikkor for under $100...looking forward to shooting some avail. light with this pup...I post my impressions in a week or so...
digikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 2:47 PM   #15

I would just like to add that Image Stabilization will not help you trying to catch the action of let's say a Cheerleader moving all her arms and legs or flying through the air. IS can only reduce the motion induced by the photographer, not the movement inside the image. In case of a moving cheerleader, you may get a crisp background because the IS managed to compensate the shaking of your hand, but the cheerleader is still going to be blurred as she moved within the image. So if the stage is usually lit well enough, you can pretty much save yourself the money for IS. In the example of the cheerleader competition, if the stage is lit well enough, you would do better with a 70-200L 2.8 non IS than with a 70-200 f4 IS lens.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote