Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Oct 23, 2007, 4:09 PM   #1

I know this lens is not recommended due to the lack of an HSM motor, but how would this focus system compare to the on-camera focusing of a Pentax K10d?
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 24, 2007, 6:47 AM   #2
Administrator

Do you mean an older 70-210mm version or a newer Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8?

Most newer versions of the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 lens in Canon EF mount have HSM (Hypersonic Motor) focusing.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 7:22 AM   #3
Administrator

If you're looking at older Sigma 70-210mm f/2.8 lenses, be aware that you can have some compatibility issues with some of them. So, I'd make sure the lens you buy is known to autofocus correctly on a dSLR.

For example, keh.com has notes on a multiple Sigma 70-210mm f/2.8 lenses stating "Except Elan 7, Digital" in their Third Party Zoom lens listings. IOW, they determined that some of them would *not* work properly on newer camera models.

Third party Autofocus Zoom Lenses in Canon EF mount at keh.com

Sometimes Sigma can rechip a lens for better compatibility with newer cameras, and sometimes they can't.

Old Oct 24, 2007, 2:19 PM   #4

The one I am looking at is a 70-210, and islisted on KEH.com, but it's not one of the one's that says "NOT FOR ELAN/DIGITAL"... should I be safe with that one?
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 3:24 PM   #5
Administrator

With keh.com, yes. They have a very good return policy (14 days from invoice date -- see restrictions in their policy).

http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/faq.aspx#aReturnPolicy

Check the lens out on your camera when you get it to make sure it works OK (and it probably will if it's not marked that it won't).

If you have problems with it, send it right back. Or, you could check with Sigma to see if it can be rechipped before returning it if you want to see if it can be rechipped to work properly on a dSLR.

http://www.keh.com is a very reputable vendor and they have the most conservative ratings around (I've seen like new lenses in budget condition from them, apparently graded that way because of minor issues like missing hood and caps). lol

If you're going to buy used, go with a vendor like them or http://www.bhphotovideo.com to make sure you can return something that does not work properly.