Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 1, 2007, 3:47 PM   #11
NHL

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I've been wondering if this would be a good way to approach it (cheap diffuser with an orange dome versus filters and gels). This one would fit your Canon flash models.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...273&page=1
That would work...
I use a Lumiquest with the gold insert: http://www.lumiquest.com/lq931.htm
but anything close to an 85B filter should be OK and you wouldn't need to bounce it!

-> It's still something one needs to buy though - just like the hood as an accessory on most Canon lenses. Almost every other manufacturers include the hood (and the case) for free in the lens box. Why don't they just charge a bit more and just include the freaking item(s)?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 2:06 PM   #12

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I've been wondering if this would be a good way to approach it (cheap diffuser with an orange dome versus filters and gels). This one would fit your Canon flash models.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/produc...273&page=1
This looks like the gadget Gary Fong sells but it is much cheaper. It would be cool to know if it works well if anyone has used it.
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 6:58 AM   #13

Had 17-70 and 17-55 IS both for a while, and did a little crop compare. This will be "no comment" stuff, I will just translate from my native language titles of pics:

Center crop 17mm:

Upper left 17mm:

Extreme left 35mm:

Center 50mm (prime 50mm f1.8 II included):
nidza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2007, 4:09 PM   #14

nidza wrote:
Quote:
Had 17-70 and 17-55 IS both for a while, and did a little crop compare. This will be "no comment" stuff, I will just translate from my native language titles of pics:
Wow! Great comparison. Thanks for sharing. It seems to me that center resolution of both lenses is almost hard to differentiate for IQ. But near the edges 17-55 IS does a much better job. Also near 50mm Sigma is not as sharp.

Between the two which one you use the most and why?
Old Nov 8, 2007, 1:27 AM   #15

I used both before I sold 17-70. It is obvious that you don't need such a lens beside 17-55. It is intresting that I do not need 50 f1.8 anymore beside 17-55. It's not serious below f2.8, and misses focus often. I got great IQ at 50mm with 17-55, stabilization, USM...

Anyway, for the starter of topic, if the aperture speed is not an issue in this matter, I would've stick to 17-70. It is great lens, loved it, made lots of great pics with it.
nidza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2007, 4:02 PM   #16

nidza wrote:
Quote:
I used both before I sold 17-70. It is obvious that you don't need such a lens beside 17-55. It is intresting that I do not need 50 f1.8 anymore beside 17-55. It's not serious below f2.8, and misses focus often. I got great IQ at 50mm with 17-55, stabilization, USM...

Anyway, for the starter of topic, if the aperture speed is not an issue in this matter, I would've stick to 17-70. It is great lens, loved it, made lots of great pics with it.
Thanks! All the replies have helped in understanding the differences in these lenses. I am not sure if I am ready to pull the trigger yet.