Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 5, 2007, 5:52 PM   #1
TG

Here are some sample shots taken with the Canon EF 400mm f5.6 L and stacked 1.4x TC (two 1.4x TC), giving the lens a total focal length of 784mm.

Camera used1D MKII N, Canon1.4x TC (MKII) and a Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC. The second TC is not recognized by the camera so there is only a 1 stop loss and this combinationwill still AF with center focus point at f8 on a 1D series camera. Two Canon TCs can not be used as they will not fit.

The AF does slow down dramatically compared to the 400mm with a single 1.4x TC does still track OK in AI servo and the sharpness is softer as well but still useable. Have used this combination in overcast conditions and did still AF.Thiscombination does work, had about 75%keepers when shooting with this combination,I would only use it if I really need the focal length.

Have posteda few sample photosbelowand a 100% crop of the first pic.

Shutter Priority, AI Servo 1/800, f10, ISO 400. Shot in RAW processed in Capture One Pro with sharpening and resized in PS CS3.

100% Crop

Low light, overcast, very late afternoon. AperturePriority, AI Servo 1/400, f8, ISO 1600. Shot in RAW processed in Capture One Pro with sharpening and resized in PS CS3.

Shutter Priority, AI Servo 1/800, f9, ISO 400. Shot in RAW processed in Capture One Pro with sharpening and resized in PS CS3.

TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2007, 7:48 AM   #2

More then just acceptable!

Tnx for a brief review. It was not waste of time.
nidza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 4:05 AM   #3
TG

Thanks nidza, for your feedback.
TG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2007, 9:58 AM   #4

wow very sharp, and great pictures man!
xiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 7:26 PM   #5

wow, these are good. I have only tried the 1X4 TC on my 400 but had to have it on a tripod and Im really not that good at manual focus. I tend to like the ability of handholding this lens. Love V8 supercars by the way
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote