Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 12, 2007, 11:21 AM   #21
NHL

harana wrote:
Quote:
For the off camera flash do you use the flash cable to connet the flash or you have some kind of bracket? If wireless then how do you trigger it? Canon wireless kit is expensive...
The ST-E2 is indeed expensive; However, you don't need this device... :idea:

You'll need a Master flash to control the Slave (or multiple slaves): A 550EX, a 580EX (1 or II), a Sigma EF500/530 DG Super, or a Metz 58AF are all Master and Slaves flashes. The 430EX is a Slave only flash (so you'll need some other Master flash to control it). When you put a Master flash on the camera and turn its output off it becomes an ST-E2 !
-> It's why if you don't mind the size, just get the Sigma. It costs about the same as the ST-E2 and is also a flash (and quite powerful at that), whereas the ST-E2 is just a controller with a weird battery to maintain...

I do not use any cord since the wireless E-TTL feature is already built-into the flashes - why pay extra and then have another item to carry around? No bracket for me I use the little foot that comes with each flash to set them anywhere - They do have mounting hole on them for clamp but I rarely need it...

Quote:
Are there any inexpensive wireless triggers for 30D?
You can buy an RF or IR transceivers that'll work through the hotshoe of any flash, but why? The wireless feature is free, it's automatic, and is already built-in to all the flashes I mentioned above
-> The Sigma and the Metz can also be triggered optically (i.e. not E-TTL) through their own built-in "photoeye" - So if you have a cheap peanut flash you can also trigger them this way... but I'm talking about all manual and 1/X power here! :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2007, 4:12 PM   #22

its sad Canon wanted to implement remote flash in 580EX II after a long time that too at over 300$.

Its a real shame that we have to use so many alternatives to acheive what is very simple to implement. Hail nikon in this case.

my dg500 died adn i was looking for alternatives. Currently using two vivtar 285 Full manual flash and a Sb-600. Though i prefer to stay away from mounting either on my camera, i do love the way both these flashes work..Pretty simple to use the manual mode and i do take some test shots before the actual shot and it works for me.

Currenly looking at a METZ flash which is cheaper than the 580EX and can be mounted on the camera. For some reason i am staying away always from the canon flashes. May its just the exorbitant cost of the flashes thats putting me off.

For REMOTE FLASH triggers, check the gadgetinfinity website.

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.php

they are pretty simple solutions..i have bought some flashes and some tirggers from here..So can vouch that they are good dealers.. Shipping is fast and they ship world wide.. i use them regularly

only issue i have with the remote triggers is i get a flash synch speed(max) of 1/160 on my 5D while i get 1/250 on my 1D mark II.. i have no idea why this is happening, but i am content with the result for what i paid for.

and the remote triggers are small and i carry it in my shirt pocket.

But as NHL said, for u a better option would be to get the Sigma DG Super, since it already has a build it wireless. Mine broke and iwent to these cheap alternatives and wanted to play with lights...like the one below..used two vivtarflashes lighting thewhole face and the newspaper anddid some PP to get ridfo some extra light on the wall behind my dad..

Attached Images

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 7:07 AM   #23
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
... Mine broke and iwent to these cheap alternatives and wanted to play with lights...like the one below..used two vivtarflashes lighting thewhole face and the newspaper anddid some PP to get ridfo some extra light on the wall behind my dad.
Bingo - Perfect shot! :idea:

Photography is all about lighting... or the capture of light - I have seen so many posts asking for the perfect bullet in what lens can do this or that, when all one has to do is master the lighting and everything fall into place. IMO you're ready for studio work

-> More powerful strobes will actually get rid of the extra light behind the wall as the light will fall off with distances you'll be able to close down the aperture even more to control the stray light, of course a darker backdrop or moving further out will also help. This picture and your other image of the driver with flash are really what creative photography is all about - Great works!

Quote:
Its a real shame that we have to use so many alternatives to acheive what is very simple to implement. Hail nikon in this case.
BTW - This credit should go to Minolta... They invented this system some twenty years ago where a simple firmware modification to modulate the camera's built-in flash to control the slaves is all you need - For some maketing reason no one notice this innovation until a Canon or Nikon adopts it: http://www.friedmanarchives.com/flash.htm
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:59 AM   #24

Thanks NHL. I am just learning to play with flashes. Its been just a month since i started playing with flashes. It definitely makes my evening worthwhile than just loiter around.

Almost everyday evening i keep thinking of trying out different things to learn to seperate subject, back lighting, and play with the three flashes i have.

Only crib i have is the sync speed of the camera's being just 1/250. I think the earliest 1D has 1/500 as its synch speed. But with flashes like SB-600 i still can get some fill in the day light. Not with Vivitar though. Vivitar is strictly studio flash. With the SB-600 i can actually use them completely as a fill flash even outdoors. If only canon flashes were Cheap:P

here are two more pictures that i tried

the first one is my father. And i used a single vivtar flash kept over a home theater speaker placed at the left right corner. He was sitting in a place where the only position i could keep the flash was the speaker....the flash hadpackagehollow diffuser and flash was at 1/4th of its power. Did some tweaking for the back ground. Mostly it was darkbut a little bright due to reflection fromthe body

Attached Images

Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:01 AM   #25

and one more of myself.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"here i used a simple BLUE T-Shirt to bring a gel effect over one flash while the second flash was kept facing the monitor..Didnt use a white paper over the monitor mainly to observe some light. At that time i didnt have a third flash and coudnt light the laptop

Attached Images

Old Nov 14, 2007, 6:42 AM   #26
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
Only crib i have is the sync speed of the camera's being just 1/250. I think the earliest 1D has 1/500 as its synch speed. But with flashes like SB-600 i still can get some fill in the day light. Not with Vivitar though. Vivitar is strictly studio flash. With the SB-600 i can actually use them completely as a fill flash even outdoors. If only canon flashes were Cheap:P
Why do you need such a high shutter-speed?
-> You can normally overcome the daylight fill by closing down the aperture and lower the ISO... 1/60s is normally all you need for indoor sync, the flash pulses are much shorter than this and you are not doing any action shots... Thoses wireless transceivers are not designed for high-speed - you probably need a cable for that, especially if the transmitting signals are digitally encoded, which again need to be decoded on the receiving end.

Have you look at studio strobes? They are much more cost effective per watts than battery powered flashes, they recycle faster, and because they are more powerful you're also overwhelming the room fill. Plus their modeling light will help you shape the shadows... Three 580EX or EF500DG Super will probably put you in the ballpark of an entry level studio set-up but they'll put out much more light and faster!

This is not a recommended set-up for macro however
-> Indoor on rail or stand manual flashes work fine for macro, but outdoor with the kind of shots I posted, automatic E-TTL should be the way to go because you can't control the ambient light and sometime no time for trial and error because the critters will not pose for you... :-)
Old Nov 14, 2007, 2:43 PM   #27

true..the studio strobes cost less. but the issue is that i am travelling quite a bit lateley and i prefer to carry these flashes to set up something to learn the studio lighting.

My check in weights heavy even without these strobes :G..and i am just learning to work with strobes. As i said the whole idea of using multi light source came to me just a month ago. I can say i am just a novice.

Any websites or links to learn abt the studio strobes and setups would be great

@NHL

I guess u were into studio photography before knowing ur real passion for wild life :-)...can u help me out with understanding studio strobes through some website or some set ups

thanks mate
Old Nov 14, 2007, 4:09 PM   #28
NHL

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
Any websites or links to learn abt the studio strobes and setups would be great
Have you check UTube?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lsRu90jE88
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gQauZEBSkw

... Also here: http://www.photoflexlightingschool.c...er_/index.html

Quote:
true..the studio strobes cost less. but the issue is that i am travelling quite a bit lateley and i prefer to carry these flashes to set up something to learn the studio lighting.
Do a quick check on Ebay - you can get a complete multi-heads kit with lightstands, umbrellas, heads, clamps etc (all fitting inside a rolling case/bag) for as little as the cost of two 580EX's...

-> But then just like lenses you can also spend a fortune on lightings :lol::-):G
Old Nov 14, 2007, 6:08 PM   #29

NHL wrote:
Quote:
That's why I suggest to get a longer macro so that you don't have to get that close. For my kind of shots I never have to take the flash off the camera. I only found a 2nd flash to be useful to cancel out the shadow of the 1st unit, which can be done quite easily with the Canon wireless systems: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=7

The 1st flash unit on the camera is always the Master, while the the second one (or more slaves) can be placed on it's (their) own foot anywhere close by, the ground for example (since the on camera flash is coming from the top).
-> No connecting cables are required since they all work in automatic E-TTL wirelessly:
http://eosseries.ifrance.com/eosseri...ork_ssfil.html
This makes sense. I will use my 580EX for now on the 30D camera until i can buy one more flash.

I am leaning towards getting Sigma 105mm macro for now. Once I learn on it then I can always sell it and upgrade. Do Sigma lenses depreciate a lot?
harana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 6:39 AM   #30
NHL

harana wrote:
Quote:
I am leaning towards getting Sigma 105mm macro for now. Once I learn on it then I can always sell it and upgrade.
To tell you the truth and one of the earlier poster already hinted at this: There's really not any bad Macro lenses, most macros are usually quite excellent regardless of prices - If you don't mind the stand-off distance then this lens is the sharpest lens in the Sigma's lineup: http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses...-macro-af.html

Quote:
Do Sigma lenses depreciate a lot?
I don't know since I tend to "collect" my photographic gears...
Just like any brands it depends on the law of demand. For example if a lens is low-cost which people buy to 'learn' on and trade-up then there'll be a lot of them in the used market and it will not hold its value well for the very same reason.
On the other hand I have a Sigma 120-300 f/2.8 EX which is becoming quite popular for low-light sports (and very flexible @ controlling the bokeh and wildlife too) which I can now probably sell it for more than what I paid for...

-> A lens which people tend to trade-up to tend to hold its value (since no one is selling!)