Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 12, 2007, 8:40 PM   #1

Ok guys im getting a cannon rebel xt soon and i already have a 28-90 4-5.6 canon ef lense its the stock lens on a rebel t2 (film) but is a fair lense now it will be a 1.6 crop factor so idk what i would be looking for next, i really enjoy landscape type shots so i was thinking of trying to find something a little less then 28mm with a fixed focal point and a pretty big aperature.

is 28 wide enough for good landscape pictures? or would i need something less? thanks!
xiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:32 PM   #2

On 1.6x crop camera like the XT, 28mm is like 45mm on your T2 film camera. Depending on what kind of landscape you're taking, you may have to go lower than 28mm. You probably need 17mm or 18mm to be equivalent to your 28mm on the film camera.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 1:52 AM   #3
Super Moderator

You should get the XT with the kit lens.

I think I had the same 28-90 kit lens as you do with my film Canon, and despite its terrible reputation I found that the cheap 18-55 kit lens was better.

And of course if you want to maintain the same angle of view then then you need to apply the crop multiplier. 18-55*1.6=>28-88 sound like a familiar range? It's the same range as the lens you have now gives you with your film camera. It's the digital equivalent of the lens you have now.

When you are using the 18-55 stopped down at f8 or f11 the performance is perfectly respectable for landscape shots.

If you can afford a better quality lens, by all means get one, but you can take very decent pictures with the cheap 18-55 and although it is optically one of the weakest lenses Canon make, it is also probably the best value for money lens in their whole line-up, excepting perhaps the 50mm f1.8 prime.

But if you do want a reasonably priced upgrade with very good value I would (in your shoes) look at the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 as a lens which is reasonably priced and optically much better than you would expect from the price tag.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/349/cat/31

Don't forget to click on the blur index graph to get the interactive chart of how sharp the lens is at different focal lengths and apertures.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 6:50 AM   #4

thanks for the input, and yeh the kit lens is probably worth it in the long run, because i can use the 28-90 for a little bit of telephoto and use the 18-55 for anything close range
xiggy is offline   Reply With Quote