Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 14, 2007, 9:02 AM   #1

Does anyone have experience using a ring flash and ettl wireless flash together? How do you mount/position the second flash for field use with macro subjects?
dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2007, 10:42 AM   #2
NHL

I don't have one, but it should work the same way as any other E-TTL wireless flash - i.e. if you want it to have the same amount of light then assign the ring flash to the same group as you other flash; otherwise you can set to them to different ratio when you assign them to two (or three) groups:
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/flashes/fl...ls.asp?id=3258

-> I guess if you have to use the 2nd head mounted behind the subject you can always use a clamp through the threaded mounting hole on the foot of the remote flash...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 7:41 PM   #3

Thanks. I'm entering the testing phase which means it is a very different thing to know how to do something and to know what to do to make the image look 'right'. I have troubles with a huge bracket holding the second flash but will try building something and see how it goes. Meanwhile, this sample uses the ring as a fill with the main exposure coming from the slaved flash at the upper right rear. The angle preserved scale texture (esp. on the sheadded skin) better than just the ring would have. Placing the slave on a flimsy tripod works but it would really be easier if I had an assistant to carry it and point it on command. A third hand is always nice to have.

dougsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2007, 10:52 PM   #4
NHL

dougsmit wrote:
Quote:
I have troubles with a huge bracket holding the second flash but will try building something and see how it goes. Meanwhile, this sample uses the ring as a fill with the main exposure coming from the slaved flash at the upper right rear. The angle preserved scale texture (esp. on the sheadded skin) better than just the ring would have. Placing the slave on a flimsy tripod works but it would really be easier if I had an assistant to carry it and point it on command. A third hand is always nice to have.
Have you tried an inexpensive umbrella bracket?

This device screws to the bottom of the flash foot and to the top of a light stand (or tripod) - It can then swing 240 degree and couple to the flexible flash head you can point the "slaved" in any direction...

Cool picture BTW!!!

Attached Images

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote