Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:19 AM   #1
NHL

Just took a look at the latest lens releases and it seems to me like the Nikon folks are more fortunate:

1. Zeiss only releases lens in the F-mount
2. Latest sigma 10mm f/2.8 fisheye covers only 167° in Canon mount but a full 180° vista in Nikon
3. and now Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 Pro is doing exactly the same thing...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:39 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Yes, we'll have to get Nikon bodies too.

I want to see if they bring out something to compete with the 5D. Or even the Sony with some nice Zeiss lenses.

Fortunately I am now down to only 3 lenses from about 7 lenses 18 months ago.

I just traded in the Sigma 12-24 (which really wasn't up to scratch on my 5D) and and the 501.4 to get the 501.2 - as you said I would have to eventually

I think in a year or two I might be down to maybe just two primes. A fast 50 of course and probably a nice 24mm.

And when you only have two lenses then switching camera bodies (or even adding one) is no big deal.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:41 AM   #3
Administrator

The Sony APS-C size sensors are slightly larger compared to the Canon APS-C size sensors (so you're going to have a slightly wider angle of view for any given focal length lens). I can imagine that differences in the mount designs between camera manufacturers might also impact what you get with some lenses.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:16 PM   #4

nikon users are fortunate and unfortunate. Some of their own brand lens's are almost always out of stock. My room mate has a D200. He often tells me that Canon users are not satisfied with their lens(L grades) that u see a lot of sale in the used market while he finds it difficult to get a Pro grade nikon lens that easilly. Every time he orders its usually back ordered and gets after a couple of weeks.

How cool would it be to build a mount that will take both Nikon and Canon lens which in turn would mean merger of these two companies :G:G:G:G
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 3:08 PM   #5
NHL

Nikon "Pro" lens are often more expensive (by triple digit $) more than the L though...
Old Nov 17, 2007, 3:57 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Jim - I actually meant that if Sony or Nikon bring a FF body to compete with the 5D then I might happily have more than one "system". I think I'm done with "crop" sensors for now.

For example - use my 5D + 50f1.2 and have another Nikon or Sony body with a 24mm prime to go alongside it.

As my number of lenses reduces I am feeling less tied-in to a particular "system". And although I am very impressed with the Canon L lenses, I would not be at all surprised to find that the top level Nikon or Zeiss lenses are better. They are after all more expensive.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 5:54 AM   #7
NHL

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
As my number of lenses reduces I am feeling less tied-in to a particular "system". And although I am very impressed with the Canon L lenses, I would not be at all surprised to find that the top level Nikon or Zeiss lenses are better. They are after all more expensive.
What makes it even harder to cross compare the lenses is that as the Nikon body has higher resolution their MTF results from most sites are universally higher than the Canon - so one almost has to take a picture with both camera (and lens) to determine the differences; However, as one own more than one system one tends to buy lenses that complement one another and not the same lens in both systems which can result in a rather expensive exercise... :lol::-):G

Old Nov 17, 2007, 6:41 AM   #8
Administrator

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Jim - I actually meant that if Sony or Nikon bring a FF body to compete with the 5D then I might happily have more than one "system". I think I'm done with "crop" sensors for now.
I was responding to the original post from NHL (where he mentioned angle of view differences between two lenses on Nikon and Canon bodies).

Both of the lenses he mentioned are designed for APS-C size sensors, and the Nikon (Sony sensor) models using them will have a wider angle of view compared to Canon models using them because of sensor size differences.

As for Sony, we already know they're working on Flagship model and I suspect we'll hear more details about their product plans leading into PMA. They have not released much in the way of details yet. But, my guess (only a guess) is that it will be full frame.

Old Nov 17, 2007, 8:03 AM   #9
Administrator

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised to see new full frame models from Canon announced at PMA either (no inside info, just speculation), especially in the 5D market niche (even though it's really in a niche by itself right now, it's been out for long enough that a replacement with a higher performance body seems to be probable).

From my perspective, the more manufacturers with models in a given market niche, the better it is for consumers. Competition is good. lol