Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Aug 30, 2003, 5:42 PM   #1

Default FD with 10D ?

Can an FD lens be used on the 10D? Is an FD the same as the L or what would be comparable? If it works, am I looking for a drop in or a breech? Haven't had an SLR since my old FTB & AE1 !
Thanks
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2003, 11:34 PM   #2
NHL

The FD (and older FL) lenses have mechanical couplings (a lever and a minimum aperture plunger), whereas the EF mount on the 10D is all electronics. You can use the FD on the 10D with an FD/EF converter but the stop-down lever has to be locked... ie the lens and the camera has to be put in full manual, defeating the $1500 price tag of the 10D!

You want to use the autofocus as well as all the newer automatic features on the 10D! The EF series like the previous FD series has a separate higher 'L' quality lenses beside their regular lenses, albeit @ a little more cost...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2003, 12:21 AM   #3

Thanks NHL, I was just looking at the used prices. Thinking of a 300 or 400 for surf shots. As I remember these were almost always shot at infinity so auto focus isn't that important but full, stopdown manual may be too basic. Thanks again.
hodad66 is offline   Reply With Quote