Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:36 PM   #1

Help, I am so undecided. If you were buying a lens for the Canon Rebel XTI which would you buy. I am using it mostly for wildlife, birding and vacations pictures in Yellowstone this summer. I am thinking about the following lenses which were already suggested. I could take two cameras on vacation, my other camera being the Panasonic DMC FZ7. That way I would not have to switch lenses all the tme.

Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-300mm IS,

Tamron 18-250mm

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro

Also, I have to consider that the price limit would be the amount of the Canon 70-300 IS.

Thanks in advance for the help. I forgot to add that I do have the lens kit.

ewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2007, 5:28 AM   #2

I thinking about ordering this lens soon and I wanted to make sure it is compatible with the Canon Rebel XTI.

Canon Zoom telephoto EF 70-300mm f/4- 5/6 IS. for $ 549.00.

Would I need anything like an adapter? Thanks!
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:42 AM   #3

The 70-300 is a very good lens. But you have to realize, 300mm isn't very long when you talk about wildlife and birding. With those aspects of photography, there is always a quest for more reach - using 600mm, 800mm or 1000mm (via TCs in most cases). The benefit to the lens is it's relatively small and light weight. To get more reach you start getting into bigger, heavier and more expensive lenses (80-400, sigma 50-500, canon 100-400). I use a 100-400 for the wildlife shooting I do and often find 400mm too short. For birding, how well the 300 does will depend on the type of birds - for larger raptors you can do OK but the smaller the bird the more you'll want reach (even though they're closer to you than the raptor would be).

If the $550 is a firm limit, I think this is the best quality solution at that price point. Just keep in mind 300mm is awfully short depending on what you want to photograph. And if you try and add a 1.4x TC to the lens you will lose autofocus.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 5:21 PM   #4

John, I am a newbie to the Canon Rebel XTI and any kind of SLR I was afraid to get over my head in cost and in heavy lenses. I wanted something to learn with and be able to get some decent shots. Going on birding walks and hikes a lot I would prefer not to have to carry heavy camera equipment. I went ahead and ordered the Canon 70-300 IS lens today. The Image stabilizer to me is necessary and definitely swayed my decision. Later, I might even decide to go backand buy the 18-55 IS Canon lens and not use the lens kit. I am sorry I didn't get it to begin with.

I might be back asking questions about tips on digital cameras and pictures. I am reading the manual though.

Thanks for your time and your reply.

Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:42 PM   #5

You can try the Tamron 1.4x TC on that lens and get more reach and still auto focus, due to the fact that it doesn't report it'spresence to the camera. Still lose 1 stop and unless in real good light, will hunt for focus.

Not the best solution, due to hunting for focus in lower light but a cheaper fill in. I use it some on a 400mm Lbut only in good light. Not quite as critical on static or slow movingsubject but can cost some shots on birds in flight.
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29, 2007, 5:18 PM   #6

I am a definite newbie...just bought the Canon 40d body and grabbed a Sigma EX 30 f1.4 lense for probably 80% of my anticipated shooting situations.....the only other lense I'm considering adding during my "learning" phase (next couple years) is the Canon EF 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM...based on a lengthy article here http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/lenses/70-300mm-is.htm and all the concurring feedback from my now-favorite forum here at Steve's
Being that I'm a few months away from purchasing this lense, I will be curious to keep up here and see how your experience goes with it.
OK, that's enuff for my first post.
scruzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 2:19 PM   #7

Ihave a 40D with the 17-85 IS lens and treated myself to the canon 70-300 IS for Christmas and have to say the IS is excellent. Just pressing the shutter half way produces a noticeable difference to the steadiness of the image you are viewing.

I have attached a recent example, (140mm, ISO800, no noise removal, no sharpening).

Attached Images

malinstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 11:45 PM   #8

I like the results of that lens and I really like your dog too.:G
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote