Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 7, 2007, 7:03 AM   #1

I have put this out as two posts as its possible it may be seen by more people.

Does anyone have the canon400d/rebel fitted with the nikor 18-200 vr lens ?,as that would seem to me to be a good general option for me,especially as I already have a canon dedicated flash.No doubt that there are a few pitfalls .I would be interested to have all opinions.

Thanks
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2007, 8:55 AM   #2

i know its possible to use a converter, but not sure how good the results are. I have once read about a damaged 5D using a conveter

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35314 (a similar thread)

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/roxsen-converter.htm

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 10:48 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, someone else on a different post said it can be done but it turns the lens into a manual only,with no vr.

So not a starter,I was hoping someone was going to tell me it was good and worked well.
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:44 PM   #4

Here are a couple of mine ...

digikita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 5:05 AM   #5

Thanks for your replies folks .I am going to walk away from this one as the risks seem to out weigh the advantages,especially as I dont already own either .It was just that I really like the features of the Canon 400d/Rebel and the reviews of the Nikor 18-200 vr lens.The Canon equivalent is mega bucks.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 6:54 AM   #6
Administrator

You can get an adapter to mount a Nikkor lens on a Canon body, and the Canon will actually meter with a Nikkor lens that way, too.

But, with a newer G series Nikkor like the 18-200mm, you don't have an aperture ring to control the aperture, and the adapter isn't going to do that for you. So, you'd have no way to control it. Don't expect VR or Autofocus to work either. IOW, it's pretty much pointless to mount this type of lens on a Canon body.

If you had some older Nikkor lenses with aperture rings (which is how you'd set the aperture) and want to use them on a Canon body with manual focus, that can work OK.

Here's an example of an inexpensive adapter ($27.95) to let them work on a Canon DSLR body (although the camera won't know what aperture you have set via the aperture ring on the lens, the meter still works).

http://www.fotodiox.com/shop/product...roducts_id=718
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote