Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 10, 2007, 10:33 AM   #1

Hello folks,

I am looking for suggestions for a lens.

My wife works at a zoo and takes many pictures. Most of the time she uses her own camera. I wanted to get her a better lens for her Canon Rebel xti. Right now she has an inexpensive Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Autofocus Lens that came in a package deal with the camera. The lens is nice but it is not very sharp. There is definite blur when taking most shots. We've found that shooting in very good light at high shutter speeds helps a lot. But that is not always possible.

I thinks she would want a zoom. I'd like to keep it under $1000. Does she need IS or just better optics?

Thanks!
jasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2007, 1:57 PM   #2

canon 70-200 F4 is a good lens with the IS. Mostly you will be visiting the zoo in a slightly better light condition. The lens has IS and constant F4 and its sharp wide open.

Most of the 70-200F2.8 users do stop down to F4 to get a similar sharpness that the 70-200F4 delivers. The IS is handful

Option two- Canon 70-200 F2.8 Non IS. This is the sharpest lens after 300mm f2.8 from canon arsenal. Just around 1000 and u can pick a used one at under 1000

Option 3- sigma 70-200 F2.8(three versions in the market(used and new)). All three are really good

Option 4- Simga 100-300 F4- More Reach. Better contrast. Brilliant lens that takes 1.4x well to give one of the sharpest 400mm F5.6. Beats even the Canon 400mm F5.6 L in sharpness and contrast

Option 5- canon 70-300 DO IS uSM. Much slower,but very compact. Size of a 18-55(may be a bit bigger:G) Around 900 dollors. Good for carrying around

option 6- Canon 200mm F2.8 II L lens. This comes to around 500 used(have seen used ones for 425). but one of the sharpest lens ever created by canon. Ofcourse the 135L is sharper. Trade of is that u dont have a zoom. Its a prime. U have to move sometimes(not all the tiems )

Option 7- one of my fav. is the canon 300mm F4 IS lens. Best wildlife lens in captive. Long but still gets u some of the amazing shots. Has one of the sweetest bokeh(back blurring) that i have ever seen.

Hope this helps u to get urself confused MORE
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 4:43 PM   #3

I have the 70-200 4L IS (edit) and a 1.4 extender. I use it for zoo shots. works fine even on not very bright days.

here is an example:

Krusteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:44 PM   #4

Those are great shots.

I guess I'm more confused.

I stopped by a camera store. The salesman was not much help but he suggested the 70-300 IS, which is the lens I was leaning towards (I'm not sure he had any other lens I'd be interested in). The price is right and I know there are times when she wishes for a longer lens. So I guess I'm reluctant to get a 70-200. I could go to my $1000 limit. But I'd like to stay lower.

I guess my question is if I go for the the 70-300 IS, will I regret it later?
jasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 1:56 AM   #5
Super Moderator

The problem is that we don't really know what the current issues are.

There are a range of possibilities as to why your pictures might not be coming out right.

If you can post some examples of what you are unhappy with with full EXIF info we might be able to help.

An IS lens might help, but it might not be the cause of the problem. Getting a sharper lens is usually a recipe for a marginal improvement (which may well be worth it) but not a recipe for turning horrible shots into great ones.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 7:36 PM   #6

I'm suprized no one has mentioned the Sigma 80-400 F5.6 OS. It's a sharp stabilized lens. Maybe not quite as sharp as some primes, but I have gotten good results:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=11
and
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=7

I would like to be able to do some large prints, so I am now shooting with a Canon 400L, but the Sigma is great for the web and up to 8X10 prints, (at least). Add a monopod and low light is not much of a problemat all.
Ron
surfnron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:11 AM   #7

I was going to add...if hand shake is a problem a monopod might be helpful when taking shots, paticularly with a long telephoto lens.
Krusteh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 10:33 PM   #8

What ISO is she shooting? She should be able to get a high enuf shutter speed @ ISO 800, high enough to shoot in low light.
digikita is offline   Reply With Quote