Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 6, 2003, 10:16 PM   #1

Default I need a new lens

Hey all,

Well Im pretty pleased with my lenses, but Im not
to crazy about my clarity. Sometimes when I think its
really sharp when I snap the picture. It doesnt seem to
quite as nice as I hoped. I usually have to sharpen it
a tad. But could this be just the user? I am using Autofocus
most of the time. I would not mind going to something like
an L-series but nothing too expensive. Or even the EX from Sigma. But I want it to be a zoom, and I wish it had the stablizer. But I guess with a really large f stop (ie: 2.8-4.0) with say a 28-200mm would be great. I just want that sharpness I see others have.

But this may also be my answer. When I am using my
75-300mm Canon lens, and Im taking pictures of flowers, bee's, dragonflies. Should I be using macro? I dont see any difference when I am shooting the picture. I am not able to get any closer, or such. Or am I just being a newbie...

All replies are welcome (eeek!) :lol:
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 7, 2003, 10:08 AM   #2

The 75-300 isn't considered a very good lens optically at the two place I looked. That might add to your problems. Could you post an example of an unsharpened, 100% crop (so its small) of a picture and its settings? That would give us a good idea of what you consider not as good as you'd like.

If all you have to do is "sharpen it a tad" then you are probably doing well.

A Macro lens might help, but they aren't usually zooms (which you might prefer.) They are usually extremely sharp and give amazingly low close focus ability.

Also realize that the 10D (if that is what you have) doesn't have the most amazing AF system on the planet. I always take several pictures if I think it will be good. After a few pictures, I unfocus the camera and let it refocus.

I was just talking with my girl friend about this last night. I'm rather a perfectionist. I want as sharp a picture as I can, to catch all the detail of my animal subjects. But I also don't want to get annoyed over pictures when I can't get them sharper... that the lens just won't do any better. Then I'll know its limits and have to decide if I want to throw more money at the problem. Sounds like you might be in the same boat.

I was just posting about the Canon 28-200. Don't touch it. It scored very badly in the two places I looked.

You should expect to have to do some sharpening. Almost every picture needs it no matter who you are or what your equipment (although the high end equipment is usually used by exacting people, so they will sharpen a picture which is, by my standards, already quite sharp.)

BTW, I don't believe I'd get a lens without IS. My 100-400 has it, and it's amazing.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2003, 12:08 PM   #3

This may be alittle much for me to process the image. But this also may because this looks very eye appealing to me now. What do you think?

The first image was one that I had posted on here yesterday. No sharpening was done to the image.

The second image is the same one, less contrast, etc. Sharpened, and then More Sharpened after and then ran it through neatimage to remove the sharpen noise. I like the softness look it has, but still carries it's sharpness in areas. I think this is a bad example... What do ya think?
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2003, 5:31 PM   #4

Default The second image actually looks softer than the first

Specially in the wings. Do you use Lab mode & sharpen your images in the B&W mode?
Old Sep 15, 2003, 6:47 PM   #5

I have to say, I think I like the first one better.

Mostly because of the loss of detail on the body. It is interesting, though. The wing detail is still there... I wonder why it stayed and the other went.

BTW I don't believe neat image is designed to remove sharpening noise. It's designed to have a profile of your sensor's noise and remove that. So I'm not sure... but you might have hurt things by doing the neat image after you manipulated the image. I always do it first thing, but I don't claim I'm right doing it that way... it's just how I reasoned it out.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote