Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 26, 2007, 8:18 AM   #11

John,

I did look at that lens but one thing eliminated it. When I do Little League baseball I move around a lot. I like to work the plate area when there is a chance for a play at home. Almost always I am on the first base side of the plate (Outside the fence) looking towards third base. The distance from the fence to the plate is rather short and anything larger than 70mm is too big, I have the habit of carrying only one lens and I park my car quite a fair distance away, I've never lost a windshield to a baseball yet.

I don't have to have IS, the reason I am looking for it is that one of the local school has started a football program and they are playing in the evenings also several of their soccer games are now played at night under the lights and I thought IS would be helpful there. Did I also mention that in September I am attending a last ever airshow for the region and want a good lens for that also.

Thanks

k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 8:35 AM   #12

For either of the reasons u mentioned the IS wont help when the light is really dark. IS will definitley help in preventing any shake from ur hands. But both he flight and baseball is going to be action sports/event.

The subject is on the constant move.

Ifu are really concerned about the focal length then u should consider the 70-200 f2.8 and with a tele it can be a 400mm f5.6 with a IS though not comparable to ur 100-400 or the 400L lens

But there is always a compromise. From the pee-wee league to minor league i find 120-300 range to be perfect. 100-300 sounds a better suited lens for baseball. i tried with a 300mm f2.8, though the results are impressive i would prefer the zoom in the lens

There is always a compr0mise.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 9:10 AM   #13

Hey gang,

There have been some good ideas and comments here so far and a lot to consider. Let's refine this a little more. My current general purpose outdoor sports set up is a Canon Digital Rebel XT with a Tamron 70-300 DG, I also use a Sigma 170-500mm lens at times. I want a better quality lens, it can be IS,OS or VC but does not have to be. Thisi s what it is used for:

Little League baseball & softball, distances - 5 feet to 100 feet (to get some of the shots I need a lens that can go down to 70mm or so)

Junior High and High School baseball & softball, distances - 30 feet to 150+ feet

Junior High & High School Soccer distances-20 feet to 125 feet

Air shows - varying distances

plus a few other times as a general purpose lens.

Budget - $1000 max, would like to keep it under $700 if possible.

So with all this in mind, what would you purchase and why?
Old Dec 26, 2007, 9:49 AM   #14

if priority is for sports then 100-300 f4. u cannot miss this lens at F4. SHarpest wide open among various lens's. Even with a tele converter at 400mm this lens beats the 400 L or atleast it equals the 400l In resolution color and contrast.

if general purpose is priority and occassional sports then get urself a canon 100-400 IS or even the canon 70-2002.8 NONIS.

U already have the 170-500 for long tele and 70-300 for a medium tele. So 100-400 would be redundant and hence a 70-200 F2.8 would fit better

If u really need the IS get urself a 70-200 F4 IS(yes u will loose one stop) but the lens is super sharp. Sharper than the so called legendary 70-200 F2.8 IS wide open.

And one infectious solution

And totally offbeat solution for ur problem..get the sony A700 or the E510. Both has body IS and u no longer have to worry abt getting speciality lens's for IS. E510 and 70-200 Sigma would become a 140-400(a perfect range for ur needs) and its f2.8 for the entire range. Lighter than 400mm f2.8 lens:G:G:G:G:G:G(i mean lighterby atleast a few kgs:blah:and still IS.)

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 4:32 PM   #15
NHL

I think most of everyone is correct in recommending you with the 100-300 f/4 EX
-> This is the closest to a 120-300 f/2.8 without blowing your budget!!! :lol::-):G

With action shots you need a faster lens and not IS!
IS allow you to shoot pictures at lower shutter speed without incurring camera shake - The problem is slower shutter speed do not freeze the actions or stop airplanes... You need faster (with larger aperture) lens which let in more light so you can use a higher shutter speed to stop the action
-> In stopping the action you also stop your camera shake at the same time...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 8:48 AM   #16

Thanks everyone.

TheSigma AF APO 100-300mm F4 EX DG HSM lens is going to the head of a very short list. The big factor is availabe funds but seeing as I don't need it until late spring that will help. Thanks again.

Phil
Old Dec 30, 2007, 6:55 PM   #17

for sport Id rather have a faster lens than IS. I dont use IS for birds in flight with the EF 400 prime non IS and never have had a problem with blurry or shakey shots handheld, you just have to kleep the shutter speed up and with a faster lens that lets in more light thats gotta be easier
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote