Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 26, 2007, 4:01 PM   #1

I'm looking to get a lens for shooting people subjects indoor with normal to low light conditions. Any recommendations?
calitran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2007, 4:41 PM   #2

can u specfy the camera and the cost u can spend
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2007, 7:41 PM   #3

thanks for your reply, i have a canon 20d and am willing to spend up to $1000 dollars
Old Dec 26, 2007, 10:38 PM   #4

Some additional questions:

you say people indoors. What type of shots? In what types of situations?

While some shots can be accomplished via high ISO and wide aperture lenses, you can't accomplish all shots that way - sometimes flash is a necessity. Some people don't like that but it's a fact. If you don't want to use a flash then you may have to curtail the types of shots you want to take.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 3:42 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Flash is the most sensible option.

My available light lens was the Canon EF 28mm f1.8, stopped down to f2 it was pretty good.

I liked the equivalent focal length of 45mm too. It is a very fast focussing lens and the build quality is excellent. Highly recommended as a fast 'normal' lens with the 20D.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:38 AM   #6

I usually attend many b-day parties, etc. i would like to take group pictures. i try to shoot in aperture mode and tend to find that my built in flash is very weak and so i would always have to open up my aperture to get more light thus causing my depth of field to be very shallow. also because of low light conditions even though with the aperture open at like f/4 my shutter speed is still very slow which causes my pictures to blur. i'm guessing the camera still doesn't have sufficient light. besides the lens, any recommendations on a hot shoe flash? alot of my pictures either come out with subjects unfocused because of the depth of field or are blurry because of motion caused from slow shutter speed. any ideas on how i can improve my picture quality? lens, flash?
Old Dec 27, 2007, 9:57 AM   #7
NHL

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Flash is the most sensible option.
I would agree too
The more the merrier! :-)

-> This will give you more light to close down the aperture for more DOF
The flash(es) also need to be bounced to the ceiling so their shadows look more natural i.e. downward... and if you have more than one head you can set them up so their casts cancel each other. The built-in flash is just too weak (and can't be bounced) - Hence you'll need the most powerful flash(es) that your budget allow since boucing a flash will also rob it of some power unlike when pointed straight on
BTW the flash pulse will also freeze all the movements @ slow shutter speed
NHL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:55 AM   #8

upto 1000 dollars..

metz flash - 350

Canon 17-40 F4 - 600

Makes a great combination for ur stated purpose.

Flashes are the best option to stop action in really low light. The parties ur talking about have the worst light conditions. A 85L f1.2 at f1.2 and iso 3600 is not good enuff to get fast enuff shutter speeds. Instead a f8 with flash will help u capture moments with a zoom lens and a flash.
Old Dec 27, 2007, 11:19 AM   #9

NHL, what is a flash pulse? would a canon speedlite 580 or 430 be sufficient? also, what is the purpose of a flashpoint flash diffuser?
Old Dec 27, 2007, 12:31 PM   #10

For Diffuser:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffuser_%28optics%29

430 will be more than sufficient. U should also check the sigma DG Super(Cheper but more functional) option.

Flash pulse - referse to one instane of flash firing(or thats what i understood:G)