Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Dec 30, 2007, 6:52 PM   #1

Just a question, I have got a UV filter for the EF 85 F 1.8. Just wondering, do I use a filter on it and does it have any effect? I'm kind of paranoid about damaging my lenses so they all have filters on. On occasion I take them off (night shooting because of reflection etc) is there any time I should keep the filter off with this lens. If there is no noticable difference Id rather leave it on.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2007, 5:02 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Hey AJ,

I would be very surprised if you saw any effect on an 85mm, especially with a crop camera.

I've even (against my general principles) been toying with getting a filter for my new 50L. I took it out of my backpack yesterday to find the lens cap had fallen off and I had a bit of crud on the lens from my grungy bag.

Anyway, it certainly doesn't seem to be affecting your images, so I'd say just leave it on.

Craig.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2007, 11:04 AM   #3

only asking because of low light shots and I take the filters off for night shots where there is anything that reflects, lights on water etc.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2008, 12:22 AM   #4

I don't use filters, but I do use lens hoods and always leave them on. That way nothing gets close to the front glass.

It's obviously your own choice. Some say it doesn't make a difference, others say that why buy a thousand dollar lens and put a ten dollar filter on it. Both have some validity. Just do some of your own tests. Compare two exact same day shots with filter and without filter, then two night shots. See if you can tell the difference.
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote