Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 5, 2008, 6:09 PM   #1

Any thoughts on the 17-85mm IS lens? I found one at the local camera shop for $300.00. The lens looked to be in perfect condition and worked well on my 40D. Just wondering if this is a good deal as I would like a wider angle lens.

Thanks,

Craig
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 6, 2008, 4:05 PM   #2

Hello Craig, like you I received my 40D for Christmas. I received my 40d with the 17-85mm as a kit lens. I have read in some of the UK photo mags that this is a very good lens. I don't have any problem with the lens at all. I also think with the conversion factor it comes out to a 27-135mm. Now don't quote me on that as being the exact truth but I think that I'm in the ball park. I went downtown and took some pretty good picture of the city without any problems and the results were pretty good. Then again like you I'm just starting out with the 40D and I coming up from s7000 bridge camera, so everything looks so much better :-):-)
dbrown7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 10:51 PM   #3

Thanks for the comments on the lens.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 2:06 AM   #4
Super Moderator

I liked the 17-85 just fine with my 20D. I liked the range, thought the IS worked pretty well, build quality was OK. Distortion and CA easily correctible with DXO optics for those few pictures where it really mattered.

Great all-rounder.

However the new 18-55 IS is much sharper and is such good value-for-money that it's definitely worth a look. I think in general I would prefer it to the 17-85 and the 17-55.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:05 AM   #5

I have the XTi and the 17-85 and find it to be a really good lens, you won't be dissapointed
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:41 PM   #6

Well there is a bit more to think about tonight. The only reason I'm considering the 17-85mm lens is for indoor or any wide angle lens, is for shooting indoors. The 28-135mm that came with the 40D seems to be wide enough for landscape, of course I haven't tried any thing wider, so I could change my mind after trying a wider lens.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 9:39 AM   #7
spy

I too have this lens and am very pleased with it as a great walk-about lens.

I would encourage you to consider the 'bigger picture' in that what lenses should you own to complete the optics package?? If you've ever desired to own a set of lenses the 17 - 85 is just one essential lens.

My package is the 17 - 85 and the 70 - 200 2.8 with a 50mm prime 1.8.

My next lens is the 10 - 20 wide angle and on my future wish list is the Sigma 120 - 300 2.8.

So with these zoom lenses (not the 50mm prime) the optics package is complete with very little overlap to speak of.

If you choose the 28 - 135 and eventually get the 10 - 20, you will have an 8mm gap between the 20 and the 28.

So in short my recomendation is to pick the best lens that would be just one part towards completing the whole package.

Cheers.
spy is offline   Reply With Quote