Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:09 PM   #1

I have a 5D and a 40D; and want to get a macro lens. I've read about the Canon 100mm and 180mm (TOO expensive) and the Sigma 150mm.

Does anyone have any experience with these macros and the 5D or 40D? I'm thinking the Sigma may be better due to longer min focus distance.

bob_ledyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2008, 11:45 PM   #2
NHL

bob_ledyard wrote:
Quote:
... I'm thinking the Sigma may be better due to longer min focus distance.
IMO, It's not just you - 100% of the reviewers over here recommended it:
http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/180/cat/30

-> Check out this section:

"The Competition
The Sigma 150mm f/2.8 competes in a tough arena, there are a lot of very high quality lenses in this focal length range on the market, but this Sigma seems to compete very strongly.

In the Canon line, its closest competitor is probably the Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM, which we haven't tested as yet. Readers report this lens is very good optically, but very heavy and relatively slow to focus. It's also slower by about 2/3 of a stop, and sells for twice the cost of the Sigma.

In the Nikon lineup, we recently tested the Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF, which proved to be an excellent lens, albeit not quite as prickly sharp as the Sigma 150, and with slightly higher CA and distortion numbers. The Nikon lens sells online for $100-200 more than the Sigma.

Nikon also makes a 200mm f/4 ED-IF AF that we haven't tested yet. Readers report that this lens is very sharp, but also heavy and somewhat slow to focus. It sells for more than twice the price of the Sigma 180 f/2.8.

For the Sony/Konica-Minolta platform, there's the Sony 135mm f/2.8 (T4.5) STF, that we haven't tested nor have our readers reviewed. It sells for about twice the price of the Sigma 150 f/2.8.

Conclusion
At the end of the day, the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 macro seems to offer the best bang of just about anything in its focal length/aperture range. If you're interested in shooting really close-up macro, yet with a reasonable working range, the Sigma 150mm f/2.8 looks to be a really excellent choice."
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:58 AM   #3

excellent working range with the 150mm. Its internal focussing and built is really good.

On the 40D its already180mm and comparatively low price

I have used this lens extensively with my 5D and the results are simply awesome. And on a 5D the bokeh is even more stunning compared to the 40D.

But really narrow DOF...even at f8 the dof is very narrow.....some crappy shots still ....
Attached Images

nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2008, 10:59 AM   #4

one mre
Attached Images

Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:54 AM   #5

here is a slightly better one
Attached Images

Old Jan 9, 2008, 5:17 PM   #6

Thanks for your help. I've ordered a Sigma and can't wait totry some macro photography.

Bob

Old Jan 13, 2008, 2:38 PM   #7

The Sigma arrived!

Except for my Tamron 28-75, all of my glass is Canon. I mention that because my initial impressions of the Sigma are VERY good - build quality, accessories, case,..... If the name was hidden, one could easily think it was a "Canon".

I tested it out on the 40D shooting a coin at 1:1 - mounted on a tripod, cable release, flash, RAW to TIF via DPP. Put it into PS and applied a "typical level of USM". UGLY results! Why? The native image was so SHARP, that I totally over sharpened it! I then did minimal USM and had amazing detail and sharpness.

If anyone is on the fence about either a Sigma or a Canon macro; go for the Sigma. It's less $$$, comes with the accessories and has great optical quality. I got the 150mm / F2.8 / EX / APO / DG.

Thanks to all with your earlier info.

Bob