Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Jan 12, 2008, 2:40 PM   #11

Sabine wrote:
Quote:
**Questions for oakey.** What led you to it being a sensor problem? Was it strictly a front/back focus issue or just a general focus problem? Sensor replaced and corrected the problem?

My issueis a little opposite. I have started having front focus but does the same withany lens I use.
i have the 30d would change the lens not sharp did the eye adjustment not sharp. i was mad then . went to the sensor menu hit clean . no focus problem after that . wish you the best. oakey

:-)

oakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 6:01 PM   #12

oakey wrote:
Quote:
Sabine wrote:
Quote:
**Questions for oakey.** What led you to it being a sensor problem? Was it strictly a front/back focus issue or just a general focus problem? Sensor replaced and corrected the problem?

My issueis a little opposite. I have started having front focus but does the same withany lens I use.
i have the 30d would change the lens not sharp did the eye adjustment not sharp. i was mad then . went to the sensor menu hit clean . no focus problem after that . wish you the best. oakey

:-)

all hitting the "sensor clean" does on the 30D is lock the mirror up. if you manually cleaned the sensor, all that would do is remove dust spots. shouldn't have any effect at all on focusing... perhaps the problem was mirror alignment?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 8:19 PM   #13

i'm kinda grasping at straws here, but i want to make sure i've tried everything before i send the lens in for service... does anyone know if it matters whether the little switch on the back is set for 1.8m or 6.5m minimum focus? i didn't get a manual with the lens, but i've never had a lens where you had to tell it - most lenses simply have a minimum focus length, and that's that... should i set this to the 6.5m position for shots farther than 7-10 yards?
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 8:45 PM   #14
NHL

squirl033 wrote:
Quote:
i'm kinda grasping at straws here, but i want to make sure i've tried everything before i send the lens in for service... does anyone know if it matters whether the little switch on the back is set for 1.8m or 6.5m minimum focus? i didn't get a manual with the lens, but i've never had a lens where you had to tell it - most lenses simply have a minimum focus length, and that's that... should i set this to the 6.5m position for shots farther than 7-10 yards?
Exactly - This switch only set the minimum focusing range to speed up the focus
-> For BIF which is usually further away the lens does not have to focus all the way back so it can acquire the focus faster from 6.5m to infinity without hunting all the way back to 1.8m!
This switch should not contribute to any front/back focus issues
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 8:52 PM   #15
NHL

Sabine wrote:
Quote:
-> if all your lens does the same then you may try to adjust the mirror (if your camera is already out of warranty) via a screw in the sensor chamber
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=26078278
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:41 PM   #16

oakey, thanks for the reply. I guess you had an easy fix. I keep my sensor fairly clean and mirror gets locked up from time to time.
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:44 PM   #17

NHL....thanks for the link. It seems like you mentioned that in a thread a good while ago. I'll have to look at that screw and see if I can do any good.
Sabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2008, 6:26 AM   #18
NHL

Sabine wrote:
Quote:
... I'll have to look at that screw and see if I can do any good.
Most dSLRs have this hex screw for the sub-mirror adjustment in their film chamber: My 1DMrkII even has a second offset nut for the manual focus of the main mirror in the viewfinder like theses Nikons:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=19952973