Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 1, 2008, 11:21 AM   #1

I am looking to buy one of these prime lenses for my Rebel XTI to shoot my son's hockey games. I will be mostly shooting right on the glass not from the stands. Unfortunately, I have to purchase online as I have no local camera stores other than Ritz in the mall, so I am unable to handle them before buying so... let me know.:?:
rubynuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2008, 2:52 PM   #2

Both are fine lenses and both sharp at f2.0 so no worries. The 85mm is good for about 20 feet of coverage and the 100 probably another 5-8 feet or so. So not very long. And, of course, as the action gets close to your position you wont be able to get the entire body in the frame. That's the problem with short prime lenses. So just be aware of that fact before you make your purchase. You're not going to be able to cover half the ice with either lens.

I'd be inclined to say get the 100 - you'll need all the reach you can get.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 7:08 AM   #3

What lens do you have now? Wouldn't you want a lens you can zoom in or out with for Hockey? I have the 85mm you are very limitedwith reach, but it does take some great shots. One of my favorite lens.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 9:13 AM   #4
Super Moderator

As John said, go for the 100 as the extra reach is going to help, but again you are still very limited with range so just be aware of that. 200mm is going to be much better but the 200mm f2 (if you can find it) costs quitea bit of money to say the least!

Depending on the lighting you have there then a 70-200mm f2.8 Sigma/Canon etc might do the job.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 12:55 PM   #5

Any thoughts on the Sigma 50-150 2.8??? I was thinking this might be a kind of useful lens in that it might allow me to take some decent hockey shots as well as maybe serve as a walk around.
rubynuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2008, 1:03 PM   #6

rubynuby wrote:
Quote:
Any thoughts on the Sigma 50-150 2.8???
The focal length is good. The question will be whether 2.8 is fast enough in the arenas your son plays in.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote