Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 6, 2008, 10:08 PM   #11

peripatetic wrote:
Quote:
Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
Glad you're having fun the the new lenses. Nice to hear that the 70-200 F2.8L IS is performing well, that the lens my wife wants me to get next. Sure I said, "right after you get a real job" I bought a comfortable couch for a reason.:G
Let me get this straight - your wife wants you to buy a $2000 lens?

Sounds like a keeper.
Yeah, she thinks I should get all "L" glass lenses. She already had me order a EX-580 II flash (great flash too), guess she only likes top of the line items. So how she end up with me?:?

I just think that $1700.00 (B&H) is too much for a lens, seeing as I don't do wedding orsell mywork anymore. Maybe some day but for now I think the 70-300 IS Canon lens would do just fine.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2008, 3:32 AM   #12
Super Moderator

If you want a reason to get it just point out that it makes a wonderful portrait lens. Here is a quick candid from a party I was at.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"150mm f2.8.
Attached Images

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:21 AM   #13

wow amazing picture! canons 70-200's are definately made to perform
since im young i dont fund myself much but ive been saving and will soon be getting ($60 away) a 70-200 f4 L this will be my second lens so it will be smashing the heck out of my 18-55mm kit lens, it might even break it in the gearbag! but i wouldnt mind this will be on my camera most of the time, besides i need telephoto a lot more now, i have a lot farther away pictures that im wanting to take!
xiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 9:43 AM   #14

thats a wonderful picture...gorgeous as gorgeous as the bokeh
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 10:55 AM   #15

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
If you want a reason to get it just point out that it makes a wonderful portrait lens. Here is a quick candid from a party I was at.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"150mm f2.8.
I just got one on Monday & was wondering if the IS has much of a affect batterie life?
KLATUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2008, 11:21 AM   #16
Super Moderator

Yes if used a lot it will noticeably reduce battery run time. With both my 30D and 5D I use the battery grip so already have 2 batteries and I have 2 spare as well. I also have a spare for my 1D mkIII however this always lasts a lot better. Duplicate batteries are not that expensive so would suggest getting your hands on some just in case if you are shooting for a long time. In honesty it is only at a wedding that I ever need to change.
Old May 14, 2008, 7:13 PM   #17

Mark1616 wrote:
Quote:
Yes if used a lot it will noticeably reduce battery run time. With both my 30D and 5D I use the battery grip so already have 2 batteries and I have 2 spare as well. I also have a spare for my 1D mkIII however this always lasts a lot better. Duplicate batteries are not that expensive so would suggest getting your hands on some just in case if you are shooting for a long time. In honesty it is only at a wedding that I ever need to change.
Thanks, I have 2 spare Sterlingteks and the BP511A so I should be ok for a long shoot.
KLATUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 3:19 AM   #18
Super Moderator

Not a problem. Also remember only use IS when you need it, which actually is not as much of the time as people think so personally I wouldn't just leave it on. For me it's pretty much only when shooting inside or low light/slow shutteroutside.
Old May 18, 2008, 8:40 AM   #19

I have the 70-200 IS F4 model and it is a great lens. damn sharp even with a x1.4 teleconverter too if needed. A bit cheaper and smaller than the 2.8 and easier for me to travel with. though the 2.8 is NICE.
Krusteh is offline   Reply With Quote