Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Feb 25, 2008, 3:18 PM   #1

Hi,

I usually post in the wildlife forum, however this is a lensquestion (duh). I will be going to a Motorcycle Rally in Texas. I have an XTI and would like input as to the preferred lens for this type of outing. I'm thinking that I will be going for a large cross section of shots. Race, candid people, portrait photos, and even some with day turning to night.

I will have to fly there from Maryland and back, so I would like to keep itas light, and simple as possible. My feeling was a 70-200 F4LIS, and 100-400 F4LIS should cover all. Since I have only owned a 70-300 F4.5-6 IS I need some experienced input.
Thanks!
Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 25, 2008, 6:14 PM   #2

The two "L" lenses you listed should do the job very well, just don't forget ot take a wide angle lens for the before and after the race shots. Sounds like you will have lots of fun at the race.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 12:13 PM   #3

Calicajun wrote:
Quote:
just don't forget ot take a wide angle lens for the before and after the race shots.
I would concur. I would also go so far as to suggest if lighting is good the 70-200 is redundant. The 100-400 and wide angle would cover everything nicely with little need for the 70-200. It's a great lens, but the 100-400 gives you more versatility.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2008, 3:49 PM   #4

Thanks for the tips. I need all the help I can get . Could you recommend a wide angle then?
Old Feb 26, 2008, 3:54 PM   #5

Anything starting at 17 or 18mm should be good. If u have a 10-20 or 12-24 mm even better
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 6:58 AM   #6

The 70-300mm IS doesn't get the action you like? I have the same lens and I have took good action shots with it.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2008, 2:25 PM   #7

Oh, the lens can get fairly good shots. I've done allot of Bird-in-flight shots with it. However I'm stepping up the all around I.Q. and going to L glass for sharpness and longevity. Also, after only 11 months my IS on the 70-300 just started to give me problems. It, and the camera are in the shop now to be checked out.
Old Mar 7, 2008, 7:03 AM   #8

I just started with a Hawk I have been hunting for the last 6 months he/she is huge butI only see it when I don't have a camera. Well last night on the was home from work I caught a smaller one on a pole. I will have to upload the photo later.
Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote