Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Mar 4, 2008, 8:17 AM   #11

Good point peripatetic, I need to learn my definitions better before I write.

Cyberf828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 3:12 PM   #12

I think we are pulling the trigger on the Canon 70-300 today but my wife's friend who is heavy into photography told her she would sell her this other lens that she doesn't use anymore. It is the Canon EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM. She said she would sell it to us for $250 and my wife thinks it's a good deal. You guys think these two lenses would have us covered for most situations?

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...;modelid=10511
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 12:03 PM   #13
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
I think we are pulling the trigger on the Canon 70-300 today but my wife's friend who is heavy into photography told her she would sell her this other lens that she doesn't use anymore. It is the Canon EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM. She said she would sell it to us for $250 and my wife thinks it's a good deal. You guys think these two lenses would have us covered for most situations?

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...;modelid=10511

the 70-300 + 17-85 would cover most normal situations such as your adventures to festivals, etc, quite nicely.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 9:58 PM   #14

The Canon EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM has been my main lens for the last two years. It has been a very good lens, sure it may not be up to the Canon "L" series lenses but still gives me good looking photos. Most all of the photos I post in Steve's were taken with the 17-85mm lens.

Last edited by Calicajun; Oct 30, 2009 at 4:20 PM.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2009, 6:24 PM   #15

17-85 usually gets bad rep, mainly because of the price, but it's a really nice lens if you can get it for a good price, I like mine
algold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 6:04 AM   #16

I am new to this forum, and I posted something similar to this on another thread, but I am not sure where it went??
I just purchased a Sigma 18-250 all around lens. I was thinking that I would test it and send it back because I was not expecting the image quality to be as good as my current all around lens (Tamron 28-75) which has been great for me.
To my surprise, the Sigma is actually better than my current lens and I have not sent it back. In fact, I have not taken it off the camera since I got it. The reviews on the Sigma 18-250 from buyers at B&H photo are all positive. I know that the review geeks have found some fault with it, but, honestly, I can't find anything wrong with this lens except it is not the best macro lens. It does an adequate job with macro, but it is not a substitute for a dedicated macro. And, notice that the wide angle is 18mm, which is awesome for landscapes.

Hope this helps.
Wayne
wrasku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 8:36 AM   #17

Objective test data indicate otherwise.

Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM

vs.

Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical IF SP AF

So, let me see if I've got this straight. You've got a Tamron 28-75/2.8 and a Canon 70-200/4.0, and you don't use them anymore because you're happy with your Sigma 18-250 OS?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote