Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 6, 2008, 12:26 AM   #1

Hello all.

I rented a lens before buying to try it out at an all star cheerleading event and things didnt go as planned. I am at the end of the first day and I tried setting manually and got bad stuff...lot of motion blur etc.... tried 800 and 1600 ISO and shutter speeds at 30-90..

Now I am thinking I might have wanted to set it to "sports" and let the camera figure it all out.... I thought the 2.8 f stop was going to be the magic fix (i was wrong)...a lot of pics seemed very "white" and there was motion blur.....

I know I am oversimplifying the problem...BUT i need help before tomorrow... it seems there was better than usual flourescent lighting.... i was thinking about using Tv mode and setting shutter speed at around 250 and letting the camera set the aperature.....ISO set at 1600?

any help for a newbie? thanks!!
ubaisore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 6, 2008, 9:32 AM   #2

OK, here is one I compressed.....hopefully this will help
Attached Images

Old Apr 6, 2008, 9:39 AM   #3

1/30 is way too slow. U gotto have the shutter speed around 1/200 atleast.(even this will blur some fast movement)

And from the sample picture its pretty clear that u could have bumped the shutter speed to atleast 1/200

The picture is over exposed and also setting the white balance would help a lot.(try manual white balance)

As John said, take few trial shotts before the event under the lighting and get ur camera set up for the actual event.

U have plenty of light(looking at ur picture) to get shutter speeds upto 1/200 easilly.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 10:23 AM   #4

OK, thank for your help...i read and read and couldnt get the concepts, but taking shots has opened up my eyes a bit...i finally know how to set the Av, shutter speed and ISO..i was doing auto or sports with my Tamron 18-250 OS lens....but never got good shots becuase the f stop numbers were too high on that lens... I have set my focus to be on center only and am still going to use the white balance on AUTO as I cant bring a laptop in to view the pics and a lot of pics looked pretty good on the small LCD only to disappoint me when I saw them on the laptop

I have the 1600 ISO, 1/250 and 2.8 set in the camera...i will try those....everything is making more sense..... and I will try and shoot things that arent moving as fast but that is tough with this style of cheer (kinda like college level stuff)

I will post back tonight (hopefully with a few killer shots) i got some that werent action and this lens brought beautiful bokah (at least to my newbie eyes)

This is going to be an expensive hobby LOL...

Old Apr 6, 2008, 10:57 AM   #5

Great stuff....I am going to go for indiv shots today and focus on the bule in the center of the uniform.....

I am leaving in 5 minutes and am excited to see how it all comes out

and BTW, all three of our teams are in first on the way into this last performance so hopefully I'll get some good shots of championship routines!