Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 16, 2008, 6:53 AM   #11

Thanks for clarifying this for me John

I wasn't aware it did not have HSM. But now I know!

And yes, build quality is also an important factor.

regards

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2008, 4:03 PM   #12
NHL

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Hi NHL

Why did you stop carrying the 100-400 after you got the Bigma? Mainly because of the extra 100mm at the long end, or the extra 50mm at the wide end? (or both)? Or another reason?
I tend to travel a lot... (just came back from a Florida trip actually and missed this post until now ). I need a zoom to cover the shorter distance that my EF-500 can't.

The problem was when traveling by plane you're limited to only two carry-ons: The EF-500 goes in a roller case padded by my clothings while the rest of the gear are "stacked" in a bazooka style ThinkTank elongated bag which can be slung across my shoulder. I can walk straight to the boarding gate this way with all my belongings and can only wish good luck to anyone checking-in, especially on any overseas destination!

When arriving on locations I would do the same for my photographying trips - I'll then carry the EF-500/camera by the handle while the rest of the equipments remained stacked in the bazooka ThinkTank over my shoulder: http://www.pbase.com/nhl/image/92358160

... and this is now: http://www.pbase.com/nhl/image/92355561
-> I don't have room for the 100-400 anymore and the Bigma like you said is both wider and longer than the L plus when coupled to the D300 is ready to shoot without having to change body!

On my last trip I even left the EF-500 and the 12-24EX behind and make do with the Bigma and a Tokina 16-50 f/2.8 since we were doing several island hoppings and beaches... BTW this Tokina is super fast in AF even though it has no HSM: The lens focusing ring can span from infinity to 12" in less than a 1/4 turn of the focusing ring. I mean it just snap into focus with the D300's internal focusing motor because there's almost no travel involved.
-> To go into full-time manual overide I just pull the focusing ring back so there's no need for HSM (and this overiding mechanism work in both single-shot AF and continuous AF)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 9:54 AM   #13

Hi NHL,

Thanks for explaining ... and posting the photo links. I can see what you mean about travelling and the desire (need) to limit gear at times.

Did you do much photography this trip to Florida (silly question, right?)

That EF 500 (especially with the lens hood) is one HUGE monster. Wow... I wouldn't want to carry that around too much unless I had assistance. I can understand why the 50-500 Bigma makes a good travel option, and paired with the Tokina 16-50mm, makes a good 2 lens setup.

Thanks again for your advice / thoughts.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:01 PM   #14
NHL

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Did you do much photography this trip to Florida (silly question, right?)
You bet: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=11
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote