Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 11, 2008, 10:25 PM   #1

Hello all

Well this post isn't just limited to Canon folks... but as I'm a Canon owner, I'm posting here.

I just saw on www.cameraworld.co.uk that they have the 3 recent Sigma lenses (18-125, 120-400 and 150-500, all HSM and OS) available... including the UK prices: 250, 530 and 700 GBR respectively.

These seem like good prices. I'm not advertising the store, just that I have bought things from them in the past when I lived in Europe, and they are a fair, competitive retailer. And it seems the first store I've seen which has these lenses with their UK retail price. Amazon lists the 120-400mm for $US850 I see too.

Looking at those prices, they seem very reasonable and given the HSM and OS on all these, they are competitively placed in line with previous Sigma models (18-125 non OS, 80-400 OS and 50-500 EX). Now all that waits to be seen is the quality.

If these lenses prove to be sharp (especially at the tele-end, wide open) and have no other major issues, and Sigma's quality control ensures most of these new lenses ARE good, then I could see many people buying them. I think the HSM and OS are really valuable features a lot of people will be looking for in a non-professional budget, yet hopefully good quality lens (i.e. sharp, no other major issues)!

As this article outlines, there could be a lot of people ready to buy:
http://luminepixels.wordpress.com/20...ith-120-400mm/

Just sharing this info for your interest. I think this type of competition is only a good thing! I look forward to the reviews, hopefully coming within the next few months .... And it shouldn't be long before they are available everywhere. Australia should get them here soon too.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 11, 2008, 11:06 PM   #2

Yes, I think it's good. I'd personally like to see them come out with some pro end glass - more glass along the caliber of the 100-300 and 120-300 lenses. Doesn't have to be long - just pro quality optics.

But I do like the fact they have put OS in the lenses - more pressure on Canon to keep their IS prices down.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 3:05 AM   #3

i am eagerly waiting for the 150-500 for sure..its def not a sub 1000 dollar lens . But my wild guess is its going to be around 1200 and i wanna try it with a D300

Perfect zoom range.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 4:57 AM   #4

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Yes, I think it's good. I'd personally like to see them come out with some pro end glass - more glass along the caliber of the 100-300 and 120-300 lenses. Doesn't have to be long - just pro quality optics.

But I do like the fact they have put OS in the lenses - more pressure on Canon to keep their IS prices down.
Hi John. Thanks for your thoughts / comments.

Yes I can see where you are coming from.. that it would also be good for Sigma (and other manufacturers) to come out with more professional lenses. Given your sports shooting nature.

So what are the lenses you would like to see (ok, obviously apart from the 50-800mm f1.0 zoom lens that weighs 1 kg and is take sharp at all settings)!! Seriously, where do you think there is currently a "gap" in either the Sigma or other lens manufacturer's lineup that you as a professional would want?

Do you think because these lenses are not "EX" lenses, that the optical quality (e.g. sharpness, CA, etc) will be lower? Or do you say these might not be "pro standard" lenses rather because the build quality won't be quite as good as the EX range? Or AF speed or accuracy? (or is AF accuracy that more dependent on the camera body, as I understand?)

I agree... the Sigma competition should help to keep Canon lenses lower... I mean if the 120-400mm is retailing at 530 GBP or $US850 as I've seen online, that is about half the cost of the Canon 100-400mm. I'm really interested to see if these lenses will be sharp.

I mean many non pro lenses released lately Canon (e.g. 18-55mm IS) and Nikon (e.g 16-85mm VR) have very good sharpness, and I would like that trend to happen across all lenses - all focal ranges and brands!

With technology advances, the lenses I mentioned above (especially the 2 telezooms) are fairly conservative and theoretically should be able to be quite sharp! What do you think?

Paul
Old Apr 12, 2008, 5:29 AM   #5

nymphetamine wrote:
Quote:
i am eagerly waiting for the 150-500 for sure..its def not a sub 1000 dollar lens . But my wild guess is its going to be around 1200 and i wanna try it with a D300

Perfect zoom range.
Hi nymphetamine

Yes, I could imagine you and many other people are eagerly waiting for the 150-500 lens. But from what I see on the internet, it is actually a sub $1000 (US) lens. Actually Amazon lists its price here (http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-150-500m.../dp/B001542X6E ) as $980, and as understand that is a price that will reflect approximately what it will sell for when released (usually ships in 1 - 3 months it states).

What I find interesting is that the prices of these lenses seems so competitive (e.g. the Sigma 150-500 HSM OS is about the same price as the older Sigma 50-500mm (which lacks OS, though admitedly has more range). Or Sigma's 120-400mm lens which is about half the price of the (now aging) Canon 100-400mm. Of course if the Sigma lens's quality is going to be low... that would be understandable. But in recent times Sigma have been releasing several lenses with high optical quality.

Anyway.... we all wait with eager expectation for brave people to start buying them and then "user reports" and professional reviews to come in! I could imagine you would love that lens on your D300. Nymphetamine... please do let us know should you get that lens about your impressions, ok?! I just really hope the optical quality (mainly sharpness) is good.. because then it would be a great lens. HSM and OS are fantastic for such a lens. Great for birding, some sports where a wide aperture isn't required.

Thanks

Paul
Old Apr 12, 2008, 6:53 AM   #6
NHL

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Anyway.... we all wait with eager expectation for brave people to start buying them and then "user reports" and professional reviews to come in! I could imagine you would love that lens on your D300. Nymphetamine... please do let us know should you get that lens about your impressions, ok?! I just really hope the optical quality (mainly sharpness) is good.. because then it would be a great lens. HSM and OS are fantastic for such a lens. Great for birding, some sports where a wide aperture isn't required.
IMO It looks like Sigma has several winners on their hand...
I already stopped carrying the EF 100-400 on my trips after I got the Bigma (500mm, 1/250s, f/6.3):
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=11

-> I agree though when they'll update their 120-300 f/2.8 with OS then that would be a killer of a product!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2008, 7:44 AM   #7

Hey Paul,

I don't know - I think a pro grade 24-70 2.8 or something comparable to the 24-105 f4 IS - fantastic lens there.

Some primes - they've got some great macro lenses already, but maybe a 50mm 1.2 type lenns or 85mm 1.8

It would also be nice to see weather sealing on their EX products.

And, a 400mm 2.8 would be nice But probably not a practical choice for them to make.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 10:19 AM   #8

NHL wrote: Hi NHL

Why did you stop carrying the 100-400 after you got the Bigma? Mainly because of the extra 100mm at the long end, or the extra 50mm at the wide end? (or both)? Or another reason?

The 100-400mm has IS whereas the original Bigma doesn't have OS.
Love your photo... will comment more there. Thanks for the link.

The 120-300 f/2.8 is definitely a great product from what I've seen... just it's a very expensive lens and heavier / larger again. Though with it's constant f/2.8 aperture, it's a very handy lens for sports! With OS it would be an even more desireable lens for many.

Paul

Old Apr 12, 2008, 10:28 AM   #9

JohnG wrote:
Quote:
Hey Paul,

I don't know - I think a pro grade 24-70 2.8 or something comparable to the 24-105 f4 IS - fantastic lens there.

Some primes - they've got some great macro lenses already, but maybe a 50mm 1.2 type lenns or 85mm 1.8

It would also be nice to see weather sealing on their EX products.

And, a 400mm 2.8 would be nice But probably not a practical choice for them to make.
Hi there John

Thanks for replying. I thought the Sigma EX 24-70 2.8 lens was a pro grade spec? It has quite a few good reviews about it... almost placing it along side Canon's equivalent in many people's books...

The 24-105 f4 lens seems very popular for full frame... and yes, I'm sure that would be something that should other lens providers' give... would be popular.

Sigma recently announced their 50mm f1.4, which I think is anticipated to be sought after glass, should it have good optical properties.

While I have 1 EX Sigma (10-20mm), I'm not worried (yet) that it's not weather sealed... but that probably has to do with the fact that my camera (Canon 350D/XT) isn't weather sealed either! :-)

OK... we'll write to Sigma asking if they'll fill your Christmas stocking with a 400mm f2.8 (with OS and HSM of course)...

Thanks again for your thoughts. Much valued.

Paul
Old Apr 12, 2008, 12:14 PM   #10

pj1974 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for replying. I thought the Sigma EX 24-70 2.8 lens was a pro grade spec? It has quite a few good reviews about it... almost placing it along side Canon's equivalent in many people's books...
No. The lens doesn't have HSM and the build quality isn't as good. It's close in sharpness but w/o the focus speed or build quality it's not pro grade.