Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 15, 2008, 6:35 AM   #1

Hye there fellow forumers..

I tried searching about his lens but couldn't find a topic on it.

I'm considering getting this lens in the very near future.

Does anyone have any comments / complains about this lens?

I normally shoot casual / hobby shot with occasional indoor company / club dinner events or weddings once in a few "blue moons" (actually meaning very few..hehe) and need a lens of this range and 2.8 to cover speeches..stage.. or just anything from a distance and in low light hall conditions.

As I'm not a pro and very seldom do shooting jobs, I really cannot justify paying the premium for the Canon 70-200 F2.8 IS or the non IS version and the F4 IS / Non IS version is not really enough for lowlight.

So would just like to know the performance of this lens in the field before making my purchase. Tried to google for reviews they are too few to help.

Advice from the kind people here would be greatly appreciated.
hazmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 15, 2008, 8:35 AM   #2

One point - it is DG, not DC so that might explain some problems with finding reviews.

Here is what I know about the lens:

I owned an older version (no DG, no MACRO) and it was a great lens - about 90% of what the Canon 70-200 2.8 was. The difference being the canon was sharper at 200mm and the canon is faster to focus in low light.

Another member here, NHL, also has the same lens and has had very good results.

Having said that though, since Sigma introduced the 'macro' version there seem to be more complaints about the lens. Now, that could be simply because more people are using it as the DSLR market has exploded. But, Sigma has announced a mk II of the lens - only a couple years after introducing the first macro version. That, to me, would indicate there were some issues that needed to be resolved.

In general, I think for non sports work, the Sigma can still be a bargain if there is a decent savings in your market over the Canon version.

But, I will also point out - for speeches and such, depending on the lighting, even with 2.8 you may get slow shutter speeds - 1/60 or 1/125. This is not a light lens compared to other lenses you've probably used (although it's light compared to some other telephoto lenses). So, without IS, you may have some issues keeping camera shake out of your photos at those shutter speeds. In which case, bracing the camera on something or using a monopod might be required. Just something to keep in mind.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 9:09 AM   #3

Hye John..

Thanks for pointing out the DC/DG.. I know it's the DG not DC.. just a typo I made in the title.. Hopefully any mods / admin can help me rectify it.

Another thanks for your comments on the lens.. Do you happen to know whether the MKII version has any problems as with the 1st macro introduced?

I'm aware about the 2.8 might not be sufficient for speeches etc.. and the use of a tripod / monopod will help..

So personally for the shoots I intend to shoot, would you recommend me this lens? Or if I compare it with lets say the Canon 70-300mm IS in the same situation which would be better?
Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:49 AM   #4

hazmy wrote:
Quote:
So personally for the shoots I intend to shoot, would you recommend me this lens? Or if I compare it with lets say the Canon 70-300mm IS in the same situation which would be better?
For what you described, the Sigma is the better choice.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:23 AM   #5

thanks very much john..

really appreciate your replies...
Old May 4, 2008, 8:33 PM   #6

any other comments on this??
Old May 4, 2008, 8:46 PM   #7
Administrator

In addition to considering the newer Sigma APO 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG MACRO HSM, you may also want to keep an eye out for shipments and user opinions of the new Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD IF Macro

Both of these are new lens models (the Sigma design was upgraded with the lastest II version) and I haven't read any reviews of them yet (although some probably exist).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 9:42 AM   #8

JimC wrote:
Quote:
In addition to considering the newer Sigma APO 70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG MACRO HSM, you may also want to keep an eye out for shipments and user opinions of the new Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD IF Macro

Both of these are new lens models (the Sigma design was upgraded with the lastest II version) and I haven't read any reviews of them yet (although some probably exist).
Thanks for the info Jim.

Yes I heard about the new Sigma and Tamron.

Both without any reviews yet.. Or just can't find any at the moment...

However based on one photog friend from a local forum here, he's tried the Tamron and said it really isn't that good. (somehow I just can really take his word for it also because he normally uses the Canon 70-200 L f2.8 IS). So most probably he's comparing the Tamron to that (which is actually insane cause both are of different class)...

Anyway thanks again..
Old May 5, 2008, 10:12 AM   #9
Administrator

I wouldn't expect the newer II version of the Sigma to be any worse (it's probably designed to be an improvement). The only thing I can tell from reading the description that's different is that one of the elements was changed to ELD.

The newer II version has two SLD and three ELD glass elements, while the version it replaces had two SLD and two ELD elements. Both have the same number of total elements and groups (18 elements in 15 groups). They may have made some other changes, too (I don't know if they did or not).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 10:57 AM   #10

I expect they might have... heard there was a number of reports of the 1st version lens locking up when used in high temperature...

Maybe they have fixed that in the version II..

But really hoping to see a couple of pics or comments from actual users ofthe Sigma's ver II lens to convince me..

however, most likely to be the sigma.. really can't seem to justify a canon 2.8 no matter how I calculate it...hehehe..