Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 21, 2008, 12:54 PM   #1

I purchased a Rebel XTI back in November that came with the kit lens and a free Quantary 70-300 zoom lens which seems like a decent zoom lens (speaking from a complete beginner's point of view). I have also purchased a Canon 85mm 1.8 lens which I am playing around with shooting my son's ice hockey games... anyway I haven't quite figured out whether this whole DSLR thing is for me or if I am better off going back to a super zoom P&S so my question is- I am looking to buy one more lens to keep on the camera while I play around with it a little more so... for under $300 would you go with the Canon 28-105 II, the new Canon 55-250 IS (would I notice that big of a difference between this and the Quantary 70-300?) or maybe bump the budget a bit more and try the Tamron 28-75??:?
rubynuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:28 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Do you have anything in the wide range or is it only the two lenses mentioned that you have?

I wouldn't go to P&S if you want to shoot ice hockey as there is not a P&S on the market with good enough low light handling and bright glass.

I'm not sure of the cost in the US but I would have a look at the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 as a walk around lens as it does a pretty good job. I had one when using Konica Minolta and got one when first switching to Canon. I still have this lens although it never gets used and will soon be sold (don't ask how many lenses I have ). The reason for suggesting the 17mm is that you might find 28mm not wide enough for a walk around... it just depends on the shooting style.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 11:53 AM   #3

I'm not quite sure how buying yet another lens is going to help you decide if a DSLR is for you. What is it that you are trying to photograph that the 3 lenses you own is incapable of photographing? Where are the 'pain points' right now?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 2:18 PM   #4

I am not having any better luck getting the hockey shots with the XTI and the 85mm 1.8 than I was with my Sony H2. I have seen pics posted on various other sites that have hockey shots using this lens and I even tried using the settings they suggested and the shots look ok at first but then when I crop them the faces are still very blurry. Anyway that was not my only objective when I purchased the camera and I am finding that I don't like the range of the kit lens (however I like the size) I want more zoom but the 70-300 is just a little much (maybe something more compact). I also wear glasses and am finding that I miss the ease of composing the shot with the LCD screen so at this point I am thinking of selling my stuff and looking at some of the Panasonic P&S:sad:
rubynuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2008, 2:25 PM   #5

Well,

You can get superzoom lenses - like an 18-200. That would satisfy one problem. But such a lens is worthless for hockey.

As for that - the 85mm can be good but only for a very limited range - about 20 feet total. Even within that range, sports shooting is difficult.

So it still comes back to how important the hockey photos are to you. Certainly a 28-75 2.8 won't be much more useful than the 85 - especially not the Tamron as it's a bit slow to focus in low light. But more importantly, 75mm is terribly short.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote