Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 24, 2008, 8:49 PM   #1

Not having any luck with the canon forum, I'll ask in this forum. Is there any possiblility of Canon producing a powershot / P&S camera with L lenses?
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:47 AM   #2

The only one who can answer that question is Canon.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 2:07 PM   #3

Considering that the last P&S camera with "L" glass was over 4 years ago I would be doubtful of seeing any new models in that line.

Especially since Dslr cameras have (relatively speaking) dropped in price over the years.

The last model Canon produced was the Powershot Pro 1 which was reviewed on this very site.

But you never know. The only thing I would be sure of is not holding my breath waiting for it.
Riktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 5:38 PM   #4

While we're at, let's put one of the dSLR sensors in it, like Sigma have done with their DP1.
Ewok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 6:39 PM   #5

One more thing to consider in regards to the Powershot Pro1 camera is it's size. That sucker was almost the same size and almost as heavy as an XTI.

Figuring that the cost of building the same type of camera today would be be as high and probably higher than an XTi/XSi why not just buy a XTi, strap a Sigma 18-200mm OS lens on it. Superglue it in the mount to make sure it will never come off and wah-lah:

The Canon Powershot Pro 2
Riktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2008, 8:03 PM   #6

I'm not one of them, but some people don't like lugging big lenses around. The S3 would be a good candidate. The S3is FL range with L glass and it's size would be a winner in my world, also the improved video would also be a bonus. I guess, producing a camera like this is only mentioned in adverts, but in reality will never manufactured. Canon does produce DSLR and Camcorders and it would take away potential profits. Maybe Casio may try to pull something like this and the rest of the lemmings have no choice but to follow.
It sure would also be nice if a camera like that existed in my bag, sitting beside my Drebel.
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 1:52 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Sony made the DCS-R1. Fantastic lens, good sensor.

Nobody bought it, so they discontinued it. Nobody bought the Canon Pro1 either.

It may be something YOU would like to see, but unfortunately there are too few people in the same boat.

I wouldn't want one myself.

peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote