Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Apr 29, 2008, 8:32 PM   #1

Okay Mark, just shelled out the money for the sigma 120-300, I think you raved about this lens, but are there any little gotcha's I should know about. It arrives either on Thursday or Friday. I can keep it too, if I pay the taxes and the rip off brokerage fees from Fedex. LOL!
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2008, 9:12 PM   #2

garman wrote:
Quote:
but are there any little gotcha's I should know about.
First off - it isn't parafocal. So when you change the zoom you need to re-focus. I would also recommend doing some thorough testing of focus (i.e. front / back focus). If the lens is properly calibrated it's outstanding.

Congratulations on your new toy!
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 10:04 PM   #3

thanks for your help John. I'll run a battery of test when it arrives. How often are these problems with this lens (focus accuracy and back front issues). BTW if calibration is a problem, how long do you think it would take Sigma to return it to me.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 4:35 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Firstly congratulations and welcome to the club!!!

Which body are you using it with? Mine is not quite perfect rather very very good, but very close with my 5D and 30D and on the 1DmkIII it is simply amazing even with a 1.4x TC and still good with a 2x TC. Here in the UK it takes about a week for Sigma to do a calibration on a lens but mine is not far enough out to need that.

You are going to love using this lens for sure and we look forward to seeing your results.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 7:00 AM   #5
NHL

Great choice and welcome to the club - I'm thinking about getting another one to pair up with my non-Canon camera...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:00 AM   #6

The body I have right now is the Rebel Xt, which is not the best due to it's focusing system, but next year I am looking to buy a 40D. and use my Rebel as a second body. I have 2 extenders they are both the kenko pro 3000 (1.4 and 2x), I'm looking forward to try them out.
Thanks for the club welcome, but when the wife see's the bill for this lens, the only club I'll see is a baseball bat and a few nights in the dog house. :lol:
BTW NHL, the only reason I bought my lens earlier than expected is because Canon will be increasing their lens prices and I was fearing that Sigma may follow suit. I guess I can tell that excuse to my wife.:-)