Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old Sep 24, 2003, 9:29 AM   #1

Default Canon EF 75-300mm IS USM ??

Anyone ever try this Canon lens? Is it any good. I am thinking about adding it to the EOS-300D dSLR. Comments??
agiaccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2003, 12:30 PM   #2

I hesitate to respond to this as it may start a battle. I have a canon 75-300 IS and it is currently gathering dust in my bag. I've taken some satisfactory pics with it and can't really say anything against it other that it was not my cup of tea. When carrying on a strap the lens has a nasty habbit of drifting open. When the light isn't super it is a hunting fool. I've missed more shots than I care to think about. Someone is going to jump in here and defend the honor of this lens and thats fine, all I will say is this,If you have to have one E-mail me and I'll make you a deal!
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 6:00 PM   #3

Default Ihave the same bad opinion

I DID GETIT WITH A 10D A WEEK LATER I SAW THE 75-300 WITHOUT THE IS FEATURE, ALF THE WEIGHT, AND ALF THE PRICE, PROBABLY A LITTLE LESS THAN HALF THE PRICE
I DID SHOT INSIFE THE STORE WITH BOTH LENSES, THE SAME SUBJECTS, AND AFTER THE COMPARICION ON MI CP,.....I DID SENT BACK THE LENS, AND GOT THE 75-300 F /4-5.6 lll USM, $194.00,
past monday I DID CHEK THE NEW REBEL DIGITAL;.........AND I RETURNED THE 10DAND GOTIT THE REBEL WITH THE 75-300 , AND SINCE 4 DAYS TO TODAY ,.....VERY HAPPY, MI NECK STILL HURTS FOR THE 10 DAYS WITH THE 10D
digimex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 6:14 PM   #4

Default Ihave the same bad opinion

I DID GOTIT WITH A 10D A WEEK LATER I SAW THE 75-300 WITHOUT THE IS FEATURE, ALF THE WEIGHT, AND ALF THE PRICE, PROBABLY A LITTLE LESS THAN HALF THE PRICE
I DID SHOT INSIDE THE STORE WITH BOTH LENSES, THE SAME SUBJECTS, AND AFTER THE COMPARICION ON MI CP,.....I DID SENT BACK THE LENS, AND GOT THE 75-300 F /4-5.6 lll USM, $194.00,
past monday I DID CHEK THE NEW REBEL DIGITAL;.........AND I RETURNED THE 10D AND GOT THE REBEL WITH THE 75-300 , AND SINCE 4 DAYS TIL TODAY ,.....VERY HAPPY, MI NECK STILL HURTS FOR THE 10 DAYS WITH THE 10D AND THE 75-300 IS LENS
digimex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2003, 6:29 PM   #5
NHL

FYI

For what it's worth:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ighlight=flare
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 4:25 PM   #6

Gee after reading this post, I'm beginning to regret what I just did....

I have a 55-200 lens (same one as in Steve's review of the Digi Rebel) and had some blurring in low light long-distance shots at 1/60 (no, I don't have Parkinsons ) and figured the IS and the extra zoom on the 75-300 IS would be of some benefit to me. I was planning on giving the 55-200 to my Dad for Christmas to use with this film Rebel Ti.

The order from B&H will arrive Wednesday. Did I make a mistake? Yes, part of the reason I bit on this was the fact that my rebate from Canon doubles because I bought 2 lenses. :?
echaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 10:20 PM   #7

couple of things -

I'm pretty sure that the 55-200 lens you have is an EF-S lens. If so you can not use this lens on any other camera body with out causing irreparable damage to the camera. The EF-S lenses extend into the camera body and will interfere with the mirror.

Damage the mirror on a Rebel and you're better off buying a new camera, the repair is too costly.

Regarding shakes showing up on the 55-200 pictures -

If you're zoomed out to 200mm the 35mm equivalent is 340mm. The rule of thumb is to keep shutter speed above (below?) 1/focal length. In this case you'd have to shoot at 1/350s to keep shake reasonable.

You're remembering only half the rule - keeping the shutter faster than 1/60 at shorter than 60mm focal lengths.

IS will buy you one or two stops of exposure so at 200mm on a 75-300, 1/60 would be iffy at best. Really you'd want to keep the shutter speed to 1/(340/4) = 1/85s or faster.

Nice things with digicams is that at least you push up the ISO for those iffy shots, then return it to settings with lower noise afterwards.

IS has it's fans and the lenses are cheaper than getting a 70-200f2.8 to get those extra stops of exposure. Plus you won't have to buy a new bag to put the big lens in.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2003, 11:39 PM   #8

No, the 55-200 is definately OK. Canon had the presence of mind to put a white square on the EF-S lenses to line up the bayonet mount. The 55-200 has a red dot and does not extend into the body like the 18-55 lens that came with my Digi Rebel. I'm sure my Dad will be cool with it in his Rebel Ti.

I don't expect to shoot at 1/60th all the time, but I'd certainly like to be able to shoot without a tripod if possible. Yes, I know I can change the ISO, but I'm a little worried about noise after around ISO 400 or so. If I can shoot at 1/80th, I'll be happy.

I feel a little better about buying it after Russell's (UniSonBBS) "test drive" posting. Yes I'm parting with more bucks, but I'm getting more
Old Nov 18, 2003, 8:53 PM   #9

Lens arrived today. Got to shoot a couple pictures of the neighbor's chimney. IS really works well. I'm impressed.

No buyer's remorse here!
Old Dec 2, 2003, 8:30 PM   #10

I have this lens, and I personally sold my Simga EX 70-200mm f2.8 over the Canon 75-300mm IS USM. But thats just me... Maybe I had a bunk lens? Cause it was just horrable.
UniSonBBS is offline   Reply With Quote