Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 6, 2008, 2:06 PM   #1

After getting some much appreciated advice in the Which Camera forums, I've settled on the 40D.

1) Indoor sports, specifically martial arts. In most cases, it is possible to get reasonably close to the action, so I believe the 85mm 1.8 prime should be a good choice for this. From what I've read about it, it focuses pretty fast and is pretty sharp. Other suggestion are welcome. Over time, I can add other primes to the bag if I find myself needing them, but this one seems to be in the sweet spot.

Is it worth adding a 2.8 zoom for this as well, or are they simply not going to be fast enough?

2) General purpose. I'd like a lens for typical indoor and outdoor walk around use. Probably something in the 17-50mm range or the 24-70mm range. Family gatherings type situations. I'm coming from a P&S that had a 10x zoom, so I'm having a hard time deciding what the better walk around range will be. I believe it has a 35mm equivalent range of 38 to 380, but I rarely used the full zoom. It took pretty lousy shots at that range. I'm not looking to duplicate that ability in one lens.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on which range might be a better general purpose range lens. I may eventually start looking into a larger zoom to take a nature walks, but I'd like to start with the two above and then add something later when I determine what kind of zoom I'll really need.

smithkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2008, 3:16 PM   #2

I tried shooting some martial arts at the club where I attend (2.8 ) it's not fast enough. I was lucky to get 250th of a second with a 2.8 lens. I had much more success with the 50/1.8 prime. What you can try is by the 85 prime lens and set the apature at 2.8 and see how it goes. I forgot to mention that I was shooting with a rebel at 1600iso you'll have more success with the 40D at 3200iso

Can't really comment on question 2, but I am saving money for a tamron 17-50 2.8 as my short lens and eventaully will buy the sigma 18-200/OS as a walk-around lens.
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 7:41 PM   #3

I appreciate the feedback. I'm pretty set on the 85mm 1.8.

After doing a bit more research, I think I'd like to narrow the scope for my wide zoom down to something in th 17-50 range. Such as:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical.
Tokina AT-X 165 PRO DX

I like to shoot in natural light indoors and it seems the 2.8 aperarture would help quite a bit. Is the IS really worth an additional $550-600 at this range?

After reading the reviews of the lenses, the Tamron seems to be a pretty nice deal at half the price of the Canon, though perhaps a little slower focusing. I could not find a thorough review of the Tokina lens.

I'm going to wait another day or two before placing orders, so if anyone else wants to chime in, it would be appreciated.

Old May 7, 2008, 1:21 AM   #4

Here's a review of the tokina
http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/Cano..._1116_28_canon

if the link does not work, goto photozone.de search the reviews on canon's apsc camera's
garman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 5:08 PM   #5

I highly recommend the 10-22mm. Nothing will get you as wide as it will on the crop body and the price for this magnificent lens keeps dropping.

Beats similar lenses from Sigma and Tamron also, imho.
stabler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2008, 8:27 PM   #6

smithkt wrote:
Quote:
I appreciate the feedback. I'm pretty set on the 85mm 1.8.

After doing a bit more research, I think I'd like to narrow the scope for my wide zoom down to something in th 17-50 range. Such as:

Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical.
Tokina AT-X 165 PRO DX

I like to shoot in natural light indoors and it seems the 2.8 aperarture would help quite a bit. Is the IS really worth an additional $550-600 at this range?

After reading the reviews of the lenses, the Tamron seems to be a pretty nice deal at half the price of the Canon, though perhaps a little slower focusing. I could not find a thorough review of the Tokina lens.

I'm going to wait another day or two before placing orders, so if anyone else wants to chime in, it would be appreciated.

I have the Tamron and really enjoy it. The 2.8 works great in low(er) light situations and adds nice DOF. I couldn't justify the IS at twice the cost of the Tamron.

I'm sure any of the three lenses will give you great results, it just comes down to the cost-factor.

jnew

jnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 1:41 PM   #7

I wanted to thank you both for the additional feedback. I've already bought the 40D with the 28-135 kit lens (for the extra $200 it seemed worthwhile)

To this I added the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM and the 85mm f/1.8.

I've only had it for a few days now and have not had much opportunity to take any meaningful shots yet. Just spent a little time annoying the cat and then reading the manual. :-)

I'm sure I will be back looking for a tele zoom soon enough, but I think it's in my best interest to spend more time learning when to use the various focus modes, and getting used to the metering. I need to improve my basic technique before I start spending more money on glass.

Thanks again for the great advice.