Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon Lenses

Old May 27, 2008, 9:18 AM   #1

I can get this lense for reasonably cheap. Is it any good?
Of course this will not be a high quality lens, but is there anything I should be aware of?

It has a 1:2 macro, what does that mean?

Is the 1.7 magnification applicable on this lens, in other words, will it have a 510mm effective magnification?

Anything else at the same price point I should be aware of?

I only got my first DSLR only yesterday, so I am still a bit new to all this.
Carrots is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 28, 2008, 2:23 AM   #2
Super Moderator

It's OK. Not great, but pretty good value.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...uct/455/cat/23

As you are new to the DSLR world I think it's not a bad place to start. Also you are in SA, so you have plenty of light, so the relatively slow apertures are not going to be much of a problem.

Try to stop it down to f8 or f11 if you can, even if that means bumping your ISO up a bit. From the blur chart above it looks pretty good at f8/11 from 70-200mm and respectable out to 300. I wouldn't want to use it at less than f8 at 300.

In fact if I got that lens (which I might because I don't do telephoto much) then I would set it to aperture priority at f8 or f11 and adjust ISO and shutter speed. For shutter speed remember the rule of thumb that you want 1/equivalent focal length.

So at 300*1.6=480mm - you want a shutter speed of around 1/500s.

At 70*1.6=112mm you want around 1/125s.

Adjust your ISO to keep your shutter speeds in the right range. But in daylight in SA you should be able to get f8 and 1/500 without pushing your ISO beyond 400, in fact you will often be around ISO100.

Good (gun) shooting technique applies to using telephoto lenses too. Hold your breath, steady, etc.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 3:51 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply, I think I will give this lens a try.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 2:39 PM   #4

I'm using a Canon EOS 350D with the Tamron 70-300mm on it right now. It's a nice lens. It took me a couple of attempts to figure out the macro switch, but it's nice for doing close up stuff without switching lenses. In macro, it will focus within about 3 feet of the lens. I played with it a bit this afternoon with some flowers in the garden actually. Here's one of the flowers on my strawberry plant.

1/320, f/10.0, ISO100, 300mm focal length.

Might not be the highest-end lens out there, but I don't have any complaints about it.
Attached Images

DigitaLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 12:18 AM   #5

I use a Nikon camera, but I also use a Tamron 70-300 macro. Here is a shot using that lens, at night, of a Gecko on the ceiling of my deck awning.

Another one, just a fly on a white wicker chair

Some purists may not like this lens, but for me, it does what I want it to, as long as it has plenty of light (sun or artificial).

Good luck...Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 8:39 AM   #6

Sorry to chime in but I have a question for those who own this lens. I read that this does not have a fast focus butdo you think it would be a decent "starter" lens for one interested in shooting sports? It would be mostly for my kidssports to try and learn before I make a $600 plus plunge for a better lens....
GatorKev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:37 AM   #7

GatorKev wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to chime in but I have a question for those who own this lens. I read that this does not have a fast focus butdo you think it would be a decent "starter" lens for one interested in shooting sports? It would be mostly for my kidssports to try and learn before I make a $600 plus plunge for a better lens....

This is a fine lens for some uses, and terrible for others. For sports, it will be fine in bright sunlight, but depth of field at 300mm will be fairly deep, so you won't get the separation from the background sports shooters like/need. For a "learner" lens it will do well enough. Personally, I don't do action shots often, but the few times I have the lens did OK. I think the main drawback is the small largest aperture of f/4 on the short end and f/5.6 on the long end. Most of the people on here that shoot sports will say you need a constant large aperture of at least f/2.8 to get subject isolation and to allow for shooting in dimmer light, or indoors. But for general, outdoors sports in full sunlight, this lens will "suffice". Robert

p.s. autofocus can be slow at times, but for some instances, manual focus can be used.(Once upon a time, manual focus cameras/ lenses were all we had...)

Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:14 PM   #8

Gator,

I don't put any stock in the idea of a 'starter lens'. Lenses are not complicated - using the Canon 70-300 isn't any more complicated than the Tamron.

Sports is very difficult. Tough enough with the right equipment. Having a lens with slow focus will only make your sports shooting more frustrating. Now, no need to rush out and spend $4000 on a 300mm 2.8. But the Canon 70-300 would serve you much, much better as an outdoor, good light lens. But, I remind you - with 5.6 apertures, these lenses require good light. Games at dusk or in heavily overcast conditions will be problematic for any 5.6 aperture lens. Indoor sports of any kind will not be possible with either lens with any degree of quality.

But, if it's good lighting (i.e. broad daylight) you will be much better off spending the extra money up front on a lens better suited to the task of sports shooting.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2008, 1:29 PM   #9

Speaking of sports, I dont know if the Americans on this forum know rugby?

Everything everyone said about this lens is true. Not that good for sports, the aperture is not wide enough, it lacks sharpness when fully open and is slow to focus.
These shots were taken with this lens, aperture fully open, at night. Not dusk. NIGHT.
Canon 450D @ iso 1600.
I applied liberal amounts of sharpening in PS. I think I have a keeper rate of around 60% for the night wrt sharpness.

I somehow had much more trouble getting the cheerleaders sharp :-p

There are about 2 shots which would have been great if I had the wider aperture to isolate the subjects (note the blue jerseys) from the blue background, and of course fast enough to get the shot without them leaving half a foot motion blur trail behind.

From my experience focus was fast enough for what I wanted to capture. I focused on the field beforehand, so it wasnt that far that the motor had to turn the lens.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 12:13 AM   #10

Wow! I think the guy in the last pic with the ball is Henry Winkler-AKA " the Fonz"':lol:

By the way, great pics. And yes, we americans may be a little primitive at times, but we know rugby. All I can say is the guys who play that game have to be tough, they wear no protection like our football players do, and our players still manage to get season-ending injuries all the same. Robert